Roadrunner Records

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Man, that label has gone to shit. They may be making more money these days, but only by trading quality for shit.

Anyone remember those days when they had Type O (still do), the unfuckablewith Fear Factory, Life of Agony, Machine Head (still do, but they suck now), Carnivore, Sepultura, Brujeria, not to mention countless death metal bands like Suffocation, Immolation, Cynic, Deicide, Obituary, plus tons more; some on the R/C label?

Hell they even went into stoner with Karma to Burn and QOTSA.

I visited the site, and checked out their bands: 3 Inches of Blood, Coal Chamber, Devildriver, Nickelback, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Ill Nino, Soulfly, Theory of a Deadman, Killswitch Engage.

And when the hell did they sign Nightwish and fucking Cradle of Filth?

Nice to see they still have Obituary and Type O.

Since I don't receive promos anymore, now I can see what you guys are complaining about what with Metalblade, Roadrunner and shit.

well now they are, sure.

I need to get some of the classics like Machine Head's first two and Sep's Arise and Chaos AD.

Roadrunner used to kick so much ass, when I was first really discovering music I knew when I'd see that label I was looking at a quality band. Those days are over for the most part.

Machine Head started kicking ass once again, read my review and see if you believe me. :loco: It's a bit of a rehash, but stands up with Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change.

Yeah, I agree with that last statement. But they were only signed back onto Roadrunner after it was guaranteed that TTAOE was going to be a smash return. FF are on Liquid 8, and Suffocation/Immolation/Gorguts/Whiplash/Sepultura/Type O/Death etc. all left or were dropped.

Fuck Roadrunner Records.

No , I like them and own the entire discography and I'm not alone here .

I think this entire forum owns their whole discography, we just like to bitch about them. :loco:

Deliverance > the others
me = odd man out

Dev said:
Wait til' Opeth announce they signed on RR :)

uhm ... speak of the devil :tickled:

As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first reported on April 18, OPETH mainman Mikael Åkerfeldt has now officially confirmed to MTV.com that the band have finalized a deal with New York's Roadrunner Records, bolstering an imposing roster that already includes KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SLIPKNOT, OBITUARY and CRADLE OF FILTH.

Åkerfeldt disclosed several details about the band's forthcoming, self-produced opus. The follow-up to 2003's acoustic masterpiece, "Damnation", and OPETH's first disc in years without producer Steve Wilson, the album will include "Ghost of Tradition", "The Baying of the Hounds" and "Isolation Years".

"Musically, 'Damnation' was an experiment for us," Åkerfeldt told MTV.com. "It also helped us to develop our sound. So this time around, you can say the overall record is going to be heavy-sounding. There's also a couple of songs that are more in the style of 'Damnation', so to speak. We also have a new member in the band, our keyboard player, Per Wiberg. So we have some vintage keyboards this time around on the heavy material as well. Overall, this one is heavy."

Åkerfeldt said OPETH will finish the record before month's end and expect to release it as early as late August. He also said they'll play some new material this summer as part of the inaugural Sounds of the Underground tour.

"We've never done anything like [a festival tour] before, but this is a new thing, so we're excited," he said. "It's a good chance to reach out to people who've never heard from us. I'm also looking forward to seeing STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and CLUTCH perform. Many of the bands on the tour I've never heard of."

I don't mind what will happen , I don't mind fanboys' justifications...

Opeth did a wrong move , really. (... officially confirmed to MTV.COM ?!?!? WTF!?)

"There's also a couple of songs that are more in the style of 'Damnation', so to speak"

So Damnation is a (very good) experiment or a new direction? :Smug:

Odds are I won't be digging their new stuff , but I sincerely hope the band can prove me wrong .. (and that the theory according to which each band belongs to "its' time" is wrong :/)

"Opeth is one of the few bands that I have their ENTIRE catalog on my ipod. (the other, Symphony X) I just hit Opeth - Shuffle, and I'm good to go."

A Blabbermouth guy