Rob Rock/All That I Bleed/Pacto De Sangre -show review

Loco Bahamut

Calculating Zero
Nov 23, 2002
Over there
pub7.ezboard.com
I headed out to the venue with a friend a little before 7pm,and it took about a half hour to arrive.There wasnt much of a line when we got there.We got in the back,and chatted with a kid there.He was only 15,yet was pretty knowledgable as far as metal was concerned.We kept talking until they finally let the crowd in at around 8:30pm.By this time a huge crowd had formed.I kept thinking to myself: "Where does this island keep all of these metalheads?"

When we got in,Pacto De Sangre were finishing up their soundcheck.I headed to the Thrash Corner booth that was selling some cd's.At this time the Pacto Of Sangre lead singer was doing some silly rant about how the mainstream radio sucks blah blah.I bought two cd's (Blind Guardian/Legendary Songs & Manipulated Slaves/The Legendary Black Jade -I just noticed they both have "Legendary" in the title...Ha!) and went to a little spot i stayed most of the night to see the bands.By this time Pacto De Sangre were already halfway through their first song.

From a musical standpoint,they were really good.A Thrash sound is the best I can describe it.Two of the songs were used death vox,supplied by the bassist.The singer was more than capable.During the whole set I was thinking about who he reminded me of,which was kinda hard since he was singing in spanish.A few probs- one was that the bass was turned up too loud,and the lead guitar was turned too low.I think it was during the 4th song when the lead guitar was finally turned up.They were probably the heaviest band on the bill,but also the most blatantly preachy as well,which didnt go over so well with the crowd.A look through the crowd and you can see shirts of Emperor,Darkthrone,Immortal,Marduk...generally not people who'd you wanna waste time trying to convert.Pacto De Sangre's set was short,about 25 mins.A Decent opener.

Next up was prog metal band All That I Bleed.I was really looking forward to seeing this band live,due to the superb debut disc,Dying To Remember.They had a rather lengthy set up/soundcheck,much to the distain of alot of people in the crowd.Bassist Jorge Venegas warmed up the crowd a bit with quick playings of the opening basslines of Ozzy's No More Tears,Maiden's Number Of The Beast and The Clairvoyant.More set up.As another warm up,the band,which also consists of Drummer Carlos De Jesus and Guitarist Oscar Quintana, played most of the first half of Megadeth's Holy Wars...The Punishment Due (Basically the "Holy Wars" half,as I usually refer it).Vocalist Leonardo Rivera had yet to get on stage,so the crowd were more than happy to sing the lyrics of the classic 'deth song.More soundchecking.The crowd was getting bigger,and most restless.One last warm up,this time the whole band doing Iron Maiden's Powerslave up til the first chorus.Now the crowd was ready.So were All That I Bleed.

These guys were tight as hell.I'm fairly sure they made new fans that night.I know I ain't the only one in awe of the bass playing.Unlike Pacto De Sangre,All That I Bleed didnt have as many technical mishaps.The cord detaching from Leonardo's mic during Dying To Remember created a few laughs.Despite the short set (about 30 mins),and that my favorite song from the disc,Horizons,was not played,they certainly werent a disappointment.Dont be surprised if in a few years this band will be on the top of the prog metal world.Nice work guys.

All That I Bleed setlist:

1.Chaos Theory (intro)
2.Dying To Remember
3.Promise Of Life- i.Asleep
4.Promise Of Life- ii.Rain
5.I Confess
6.Promise Of Life- iv.Listen?
7.Gods

Next up was Rob Rock.Again,a lengthy setup/soundcheck.Nothing really to gripe about.I admitedly wasnt too familiar with the man's work.I knew he was in Impelliteri,and have heard his solo album,Rage Of Creation,to some degree.I really didnt know what to expect,but its quite safe to say,that the man blew everyone away.

Let me say this,so I can get it out of the way: This man can sing his ass off.He even rivals the likes of Halford,Bruce Dickinson,Geoff Tate,and the rest of their creed.He's that good.

But if their's one person who can say that upstaged Mr. Rock himself,it was one of his guitarists.I dont recall his last name,only remember that his first name was Rick.This man in particular,to my amazement,has deformed hands,yet,was playing that guitar like a pro.The guy even ripped out some solos (always to the cheering amazement of the crowd no less).The rest of the band were no slouches either,but I dont know their names.

The band's set was about an hour long,ripping through some stuff from Rage Of Creation,some Impelliteri,and a Warrior song I believe.Some of the songtitles I recall were: Victims Of The System,Warrior,Media Machine,In The Night,Symphony 40 (from guitarist Rick's upcoming solo album),Forever and Judgement Day.Judgement Day was easily the best song on the set,and had everyone in the venue singing its infectious chorus.

All in all,this was a killer show,one which I wished some of my dumbass friends would have gone to.I do regret not bringing two things: a camera to take some pics,and my copy of All That I Bleed/Dying To Remember to get signed.Maybe next time.

-Eliud Vazquez \m/

Hello!
Let me share my thoughts of last friday's concert....awesome, no more no less...
The PA system used for Pacto and ATIB was cheap at best and didn't do justice to the music, but I moved up front where I could here better.
Musically, Pacto de Sangre was rough compared to the other two bands, but lacked that impressive something that ATIB have when they play.
Starting from the bass player, Jorge Venegas, these guys RULE. Leonardo was a little rusty with his stage presence (later I found out this was there first big show), but his voice did the work for him (except a little crack in the voice in one of the songs) excellent.
Drummer Carlos De Jesus was steady and sober with his performance on the drums...but the backing vocals to God were not appropiate, maybe Leonardo needs to share his vocal knowledge to prevent disaster (a la Mike Portnoy doing vocals for Dream Theater)...I think he needs to put more soul in the playing though, the drums are made to abuse them.
The Guitar Player....the guitar player....wow....I was reluctant about the ability of this band to perform what they recorded until friday night, the guy played swiftly through all the complicate passages that form their songs and solos (of course, one have to mention again Mr. Venegas for dubbing them on the BASS!!!)
I don't know if anybody noticed the keyboard player was in a corner...it was barely audible during times but assertive and faithfull to the album when it did...(one thing I did noticed about Ivan Melendez(live-show-keyboardplayer) was during warmups and soundchecks, that guy was ripping!)...during the jamming session at the beginning of soundcheck, I kept looking at Oscar Quintana's guitar only to find him playing chords and I wonder where the hell all the shredding was coming from, then I saw that Ivan guy on the keyboard...wow...never saw a keyboard player here with Jordan Rudesseque chops.
I turn out now being a fan of this band, and hopefully I'll be there for the next one, it is worth every cent.
Rob Rock...Rob Rock, read the last post, that is the best way to describe his show...and a plus, the guy is cool offstage, even took a photo with me and chat for a while.
LONG LIVE METAL!!!

Originally posted by atibfan

I don't know if anybody noticed the keyboard player was in a corner...it was barely audible during times but assertive and faithfull to the album when it did...(one thing I did noticed about Ivan Melendez(live-show-keyboardplayer) was during warmups and soundchecks, that guy was ripping!)...during the jamming session at the beginning of soundcheck, I kept looking at Oscar Quintana's guitar only to find him playing chords and I wonder where the hell all the shredding was coming from, then I saw that Ivan guy on the keyboard...wow...never saw a keyboard player here with Jordan Rudesseque chops.

LONG LIVE METAL!!!

Our new live keyboardist's name is José Ramón Ortiz,
Sorry for the misinformation!! I guess a news update was
in place :)

On behalf of the band we wan't to thank José for he's great
work and helping us out!

Thanks a lot for the support, you guys rule.

Later,
Leo

My friends...

I appreciate all your imputs that as a matter of fact will help us to grow and learn more about ourselves.

I thank Leo an ATIB for the excellent friendship and conratulate them for their excellent performance there... I would not expect less from them... A Shame about the sound... It sucked badly!!

On the other hand, most of what "Loco Bahamut" said is right, but I might dissagree in a few things that might as well be a matter of appreciation though. This I will say with all due respect regarding his post and his person:

Pacto de Sangre lead singer was doing some silly rant about how the mainstream radio sucks blah blah.

(You might have been referring to my comment regarding the importance of the unity of our local metal scene in order to keep it alive, since mainstream radio or the ones who claim to be #1 Rockers, etc... did not really does it for us as long as they never play our music, not even at 1:am and mentiones Alfa rock 106 and Cosmos in which you must be spanish and strwberry stuff to get airplay... A truth and a shame, as a matter of fact)

"but also the most blatantly preachy as well, which didnt go over so well with the crowd. A look through the crowd and you can see shirts of Emperor, Darkthrone, Immortal, Marduk... generally not people who'd you wanna waste time trying to convert."

Well, first of all we are all ministers and then musicians, so our main goal is to preach a message and every word said there was said in respect to others believes. The fact that the shirts says that they listen to satanic stuff makes us want speak more, because the word of God is not for the converted only... we are not Christians trying to entertein christians. We have a job to do. I hope that our message {that was well received, as per the comments of most of the people we met at the floor} was not offensive at all and that it only provide alternate solutions to peoples problems like that ones I had like my alcoholism and addiction to crack, which i also mentioned... so if someone, only one, gets to change this kind oh self destructive habits in their lives thanks to this message and our band, the effort was worthy. Then nothing bad at all was done. So in other terms this is what you will always expect from Pacto de Sangre's presentations

I wrote all this with all due respect and establishing that we did'nt, in any way, felt offended by your comments. Just thought that bringing some light over our purpose and reason for being would be good so you can get to undertand us and love us the way we are regarding our beliefs. We love you as well.

Thanks for the good comments regarding the music, all are well received and will be posted whole inour site on next weeks update... http://www.prtc.net/~deyaneira

GBY,

hi,

I'm sorry that you were offended by some of my comments,that was not my intention,but rather an honest viewpoint.I have no problem with the beliefs of others (my friend who i went with to the show is a christian),but I (and many I'm sure) generally dislike being preached upon.

In any case,I do hope to hear some recorded material soon.

Best of luck to you and your band.

-Loco

No, my friend, to the contrary. I just said that: "In Any Way didn't we felt offended by your comments", to the contrary, I greatly appereciate your sincerity. It was just to let you know that the feedback from the public, as they personally told us, was different to your preception... I don't know if you noticed that we interacted with them and the experience was extremely good.

Peace

I can't write much, but all I have to say is that ATIB (as well as the other bands) put on a great show. There were some sound problems, but they still managed to play very well and show that they can reproduce the music live. They still need to polish their show, but this will obviously take them some time and quite a few more live presentations. Still, it was a great first presentation and I just can't wait for the complete show. Keep it up guys!!!

Originally posted by Prog_Dog
Hey Leo what's next for ATIB? Looking forward to seeing you live, I didn't make it to the Rob Rock's concert. Any dates yet?

Hey, Prog Dog

What's next for ATIB?? well, we are taking a break for Christmas holidays, after that we will be performing live as many shows as possible across the island with the possibility of some shows in the US next year. Also, starting in January 2003 we will begin writing new material for the next CD.

As soon as live dates are confirmed they will be posted in the "On The Road" section of the website plus, they will be posted here on the forum. Next year should be quite an active year for us.

Thanks a lot for the support !!
If you come down to one of the shows, don't forget to say hi

Later,
Leo