Roberts 455 reel-to-reel: Anyone know anything about this?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
a161f3cf.jpg

Guitarist had this sitting in a pile of junk. It has a bunch of tubes and it's from the 50/60's but there isn't much information.

Everything seems to work correctly, no tape to record but we monitored a guitar through it.

I have one of these but the power supply is sick, so not much to report. Necromancer197666: Did you ever do anything with it? PM me when you can.

A friend of mine had a similar unit, and took the tube power amp out and turned it into a hi fi amp for his iPhone and a nice pair of speakers. He's also extremely handy with electronics and can build an LA2A clone from memory... so that kind of rules that out of the realm of most mortals. I love oddball vintage finds like this.

hi jon, i just now saw your message. i hope i'm not too late. you have a great machine i hope i am in time to save it from the scrap pile. i have one that is in excellent shape. i use it every day and they are very rare and well made machine. i have a copy of the service manual but i need an operating manual. i'm trying to find someone with a copy which is how i saw your blog. if you have any info by now, i will share what i have with you. hope i'm not too late to save it. ed please email me at themukluks@gmail.com

Does anyone have any info or a service manual for a 455 Roberts Reel-2-Reel....

I had a Roberts 455 back in the late 1960's and loved it. Totally heavyweight. But I hauled it around and recorded live music and the results were great. Check Magic Sam Live at the Avant Garde -- released in November by Delmark Records on cd. That's a recording I made with my Roberts. Google it -- all reviews so far are great -- many mention recording quality. That's the Roberts. A quality piece of gear!

hi jon, i just now saw your message. i hope i'm not too late. you have a great machine i hope i am in time to save it from the scrap pile. i have one that is in excellent shape. i use it every day and they are very rare and well made machine. i have a copy of the service manual but i need an operating manual. i'm trying to find someone with a copy which is how i saw your blog. if you have any info by now, i will share what i have with you. hope i'm not too late to save it. ed please email me at themukluks@gmail.com

Well I wish I would have seen this many moons ago. I tried my darndest selling it (for crazy cheap too) and shipping would have been way too much for anyone so I ripped out the goods (tubes, big relays and transistors) and I scrapped it when I moved. :erk:

Well I wish I would have seen this many moons ago. I tried my darndest selling it (for crazy cheap too) and shipping would have been way too much for anyone so I ripped out the goods (tubes, big relays and transistors) and I scrapped it when I moved. :erk:

919.gif

114.gif

133.gif