Rode mics

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hey guys.
Since many of you seem to have decent experiance with mics i was wandering how Rode mics compare to those around the same price range.
I've been looking at getting an NT5- a stereo pair of pencil condencers, maily for drum overheads/ room micing, and maybee an NT1 (A) for vocals.

Would there be any other mics that you could recomend (also getting a 57) maybee mics like the 57 which are versatile or good value for money??
I mainly forsee basic band recording/ live mixing of guitars, vox, drums and bass, and im going to a warehouse sale this weekend so was just lookin for some good buys.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Daniel\m/

I own a pair of nt3's. It's ok but not great. I use it on overheads but only far from the kit cause it's harsh in the high end. Another problem is that they are pretty heavy.
I red good things about the nt5. They are told to sound a bit darker (not necessary a bad thing though) but similar to neumann km184. I haven't tried it myself.

We used the nt3's for overheads on our demo and i think they sound great,for vocals i would recommend the K2, that's my main mic for vocals and in my opinion the best tube mic in it's price range.

i have a nt1a and i thinks its really good depending on the singer. i like having it in my mic closet. its just another tool, ya know. try it out and see for yourself. i would also look into some audix i5s while you are buying mics even if they arent available at that one place you can pick them up really cheap. i paid 75.00usd and i think razorjack said he got some for 80.00usd. its really good on toms, snare, guitar. i think its super useful. also a sennheiser 609 or e609 woulod come in really handy for guitars at some point. i think the 609 is really good on some amps. check it out for yourself.

I got myself a set of NT5's mostly for drum overheads, and I really quite like the sound they have, even dry, it's nice. They also sound really cool for acoustic guitar as well. And for the quality of sound you get, the price is not bad either, they're certainly not Neumann KM's, or Sanken's, or B&K's, or DPA, but the price to sound quality ratio is favorable.