RODE NT5 HATE

I use them all the time, they are the only pair of small condenser mics that I own. Sure, someday I'd like to upgrade, but for now they are great for rock and metal, because they are bright. But I disagree with them having a Chinese brightness to them, they might be just a tad harsh, but honestly I think they have some pretty good body to them. I once found some soundclips comparing them with some KM184's on overheads and in an orchestra and you could barely hear a difference between the two on that particular recording. Now I don't know what type of converters or preamps were being used, which can make a difference, but overall, out of all the sound clips I've heard the NT5's are the best in that particular price range. I'd say get em, and use the crap out of them until you can afford to upgrade, I've made tons of great recordings with them and maybe I'm different or just haven't used overheads enough to know the difference, but I think the brightness is kind of nice when trying to get cymbals to cut through dense metal mixes. Just make sure you mic the ride and the china separately. I can say this as well, even when I do get me some other mics (right now the ones on my wishlist are the charter oaks or the KM184's), but even when I get them, I have absolutely no intention whatsoever on selling my Rode NT5's.

I'm sorry but you're absolutely wrong about the statement that most of the NT5 related comments are BAD! I Don't know where and how much research have you done, but there are many recommendations and praises for these mics, especially for overhead use. There are certainly more good comments than the bad ones (and you're free to prove me wrong). I'm not saying they're perfect, nor that there aren't better ones, but in that price range they offer quite nice performance. For example, I have a pair of AT4041s, which are considered better mics (and are more expensive too), and NT5s still outperforms them!...

In my first statement I said money aside, I really appreciate your feedback. These Negative Comments are everywhere. Even just above EGAN. said they had a harsh "chinese" top end. These types of comments/reviews are everywhere. I definitely was not trying to bash the NT5's, actually im thinking about buying them. I just dont like "harsh/brittle" mics. I just wanted to make sure that these weren't just a small step up from really cheap mics. (eq 603). Not that i find these mics super expensive but I think they are expensive if they dont sound amazing. I'd rather just spend the 1000.00 at least I would like them. But im gonna take everyones advice that the NT5 is a great sounding mic on acoustic guitar and drum overheads. THANKS EVERYONE! I LOVE THIS PLACE, SO HELPFUL. Does anyone actually know of a well known album or song that featured the nt5's?

A lot of people on this forum like 'em. I have them, they got the job done but I eventually want to upgrade to SM81s.

Is the sm81 a better choice? Even though they dont come in matched pairs?

Acoustic guitar and Drum Overheads are the uses.

i own both, and prefer the sm-81 to the nt5 almost all of the time - and especially for guitars and OH. not only do i like the sound of them more, but they also have a pad and roll-off, which makes them a little more versatile as well. if you have the extra few bucks, i would say go get the 81's...they're a time-tested studio workhorse that's been used on 1000's of recording over a period of decades, and even if you add some more expensive and "higher-end" SDC's to your mic locker later on, you'll still be glad to have the 81's lying around.

I started out using NT5s, and they did the job, but they just don't hold up when compared to many other mics. Like someone said, they sound good with good cymbals, but so does every other half-decent SDC out there. You will definitely outgrow them.

I noticed a large improvement when I switched to SM81s, which you can find for $400-500 a pair on the used market. You should also consider Audio Technica ATM450s, Oktava MK012s, and Peluso CEMC6, all which can be had for $400-600 a pair. I'm now using Beyerdynamic MC930s and am very happy with them.

Is the sm81 a better choice? Even though they dont come in matched pairs?

Acoustic guitar and Drum Overheads are the uses.

Yes, it is, and you do not need to buy a matched pair, it's a waste of money to pay extra for it in most cases - your ears aren't a matched pair, and your mics usually don't need to be either. Two mics off the line should be very closely matched anyway.

Once again this thread confirms what I was talking about when i said there was mixed NT5 reviews. Still not sure what mic to try. The Oktava's are very rare around here and no big retailers around me carry them. I can find them are they really a better sounding mic? I know that the NT5's are built well yaya. Im talking about overall sound quality. Specifically NT5 vs Oktava MK012. I know im beating this to death but the replies are so back and forth. And for just a touch more I can get 042's. These look bright as hell on paper. Why would these be a better choice than the NT5? Im also concerned with hard hittting drummers that the lack of a pad on the NT5 might track at too high of levels. I tracked a project with a pair of AT2020's on overheads through a DMP3 preamp. The preamp was completely turned down, and i was nearly clipping while tracking. Would i have a similar experience with the NT5's?

Thanks Everyone.

Once again this thread confirms what I was talking about when i said there was mixed NT5 reviews. Still not sure what mic to try. The Oktava's are very rare around here and no big retailers around me carry them. I can find them are they really a better sounding mic? I know that the NT5's are built well yaya. Im talking about overall sound quality. Specifically NT5 vs Oktava MK012. I know im beating this to death but the replies are so back and forth.

The thing is, people say they like the NT5, but you will rarely hear anyone say they PREFER it to other quality mics. I definitely prefer the Oktavas to the NT5; again, this is coming from someone who owns a pair of NT5s. The Oktavas sound much more musical to me, and are also stellar on acoustic guitar (on one occasion we shot them out against a dozen other mics and everyone liked the Oktavas, even over some mics costing 5-6 times as much).

And for just a touch more I can get 042's. These look bright as hell on paper. Why would these be a better choice than the NT5? Im also concerned with hard hittting drummers that the lack of a pad on the NT5 might track at too high of levels. I tracked a project with a pair of AT2020's on overheads through a DMP3 preamp. The preamp was completely turned down, and i was nearly clipping while tracking. Would i have a similar experience with the NT5's?

Thanks Everyone.

Do you mean C42s? If so the C42s destroy the NT5, they would definitely be a better choice. They are bright, but not harsh - the high end is excellent for bringing out the transients in drums (something the C42 excels at) and it makes them well suited for acoustic instruments and percussion too. If you want a less bright alternative to the C42, check out the Beyerdynamic MC930, which are a bit beefier and darker and are in the same price range.

As to your last question, I don't think I ever really had a problem with the NT5s clipping, but I use(d) them with a padded mic pre.

Thanks for all your responses to my rode nt5 question. I just dont want to make a bad decision i will outgrow. Im worried they will be to hot with out pads. I do not want to use external pads. I also do not have a preamp with a pad. Does anyone have have a song or sample that you have done with the nt5? Drums or acoustic guitar? If you do could you also tell me the chain and plugs/hardware you used if any so i have an idea of the sound. Are there any major releases that have use them. I really appreciate it. Also where i live MK012's are not much more than NT5's only like 80.00 difference. Im worried about the build quality of the oktava. I had a set of apex mics that had a similar type of "screw off" capsule. If felt very "cheap". Not that an Oktava is the same as Apex im just using the cap systems for comparison. Also Im in Canada so sending the mics over the border to be modified would be extremely expensive. For the price of MK012's modded , shipped , duties. I might as well just buy the 184's or alike.

I tracked a project with a pair of AT2020's on overheads through a DMP3 preamp. The preamp was completely turned down, and i was nearly clipping while tracking. Would i have a similar experience with the NT5's?

yes

Really you think they will be hot? I just ordered a pair, the sales person who i spoke with had a lot of experience with a lot of different mics. He said i would not have a problem with clipping. Why would they be a staple for drum oh's if they are too hot. I like to track my overheads a a reasonable level. I hope this is possible with the nt 5. I hope i made the right choice.

Thanks to all.

I don't consider how hot a mics output it is to be characteristic of quality and I'll take too hot over too quiet any day because there is an easy solution. As long as you aren't bottoming out the capsule it's just an issue of using a pad.

I dont either. But if you have never used an AT2020 (thats what i was referring to) 2 ft above highest cymbal. I can clip the converters with mic pre completely down on snare and tom hits. Thats with roll off engaged on the pre. I just didnt like that. I know i can use external pads but i would just like a set of mics that don't behave this way.

Im in Canada so the mod suggestions would cost me quite a bit with shipping and duties. If i bought oktava 012's they would cost me 600 with tax. By the time I pay 100 or more a piece for modding. Pay the duties and shipping. I'd be over a grand easy. The MXL mics are like 150 a pair here, i just dont want to drop 500+ dollars on a 150.00 set of mics. I hope this thread showed everyone what I meant when I said the NT5's get mixed reviews. Wow.
Thanks for all the advice.