RODE NT5 HATE

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
I honestly see nothing but bad comments most of the time about the RODE NT5. I am in the market for drum overheads and acoustic guitar mic. I really do not want to outgrow my purchase. On specs the mics look great can someone with experience with these mics explain why they are not so loved. Please dont take price into consideration. Lets assume all mics are the same price what are the "downfalls" to the NT5 matched pair. Thanks to all.

I've just seen the statement a lot "you will out grow these mics" im really not looking for anything cheap. Do the Rode's hold their own against 451's, 184's, c42's. I can appreciate the "expensive mics have slight light better quality control and pads roll offs, But at the end of the day are the rode nt5s great overheads and acoustic mics.

This is exactly the type of mixed reviews im talking about. So confusing, and im in a location where trying mics is virtually impossible. 1 1/2 just to a music store that might have some.

I'm not really sure what you're confused about Studdy. If you are buying in the sub $500 range they are a great choice. The Josephsons have a smoother high end IMO if you have $900 to spend. If you have $1200-1600 to spend then get the 184's (for a fuller sound) or the 451's (for more of a bright, rolled off sound). You'll notice improved detail with either of these.
For the price of a new pair of 184's you could also buy a pair of the NT5's and a pair of C42's and have some options.
Rob's right though. Get a pair and sell them if you don't like them. If you can find a pair used you'll lose $50 max.

Thanks for the reply. I guess im just having a hard time with purchasing "cymbal mics" that some people are referring to as "harsh", you would think that for a mic that gets praised on drum overheads that harsh would be the last thing they would be. So the 451's are also "bright" do they have a similar sound to the NT5 then? I also experienced that my last overheads had no pad and were way to hot going to "tape" even at minimized preamp gain. Will i have this issue with the rodes? Im also very interested in the AT2035 , for a cheap mic the specs are very impressive. Any thoughts?

The Rodes have what's commonly called a Chinese top end. It's hard to explain, but it can be peaky and harsh. Usually you can work around this with placement and EQ. I would say that the NT5, c42 and 451 have sort of a similar response (bright with rolled off lows) though they all sound different. I wouldn't make a decision based on the inclusion of a pad because some of the best mics don't have them and you can buy a couple of these and be fine. FWIW the 184's don't have a pad.
I've never heard the 2035's. Sorry.

sucks they don't have a pad/roll-off, but they work ok for a sub-$500 pair

to be honest though, i use my sm-81's wayyyy more often, and with better results

like others said...the nt5's are probably the best SDC's in their price range, but a little more $$ can get you much nicer mics

Don't agree with the "chinese" top end. The NT5 are indeed bright, maybe they lack a bit body, but the top end is really subtle, even if a bit too shiny sometimes. If you want something a bit more bodied, try the Octava MK 012. Same price range.

And the cymbal quality is crucial. With the best mics in the world, it's impossible to make a good tone out of a shitty cymbal set, or even a set made of good but mismatched cymbals.

Any thoughts on the at2035? on paper it has amazing specs. Low noise, roll off, pad, shockmount. Am i missing something here? Even the frequency response looks all purpose. Would this be a better choice?