Roland drum triggers WTF!?

brianhood

No Care Ever
I purchased a roland tom trigger out of curiosity, set the thing up, and it clipped my preamp no matter what i did. I turned the preamp volume ALL THE WAY DOWN and used the -20db pad, and it still clipped at even a moderately hard tom hit.

anyone have any experience tracking drums with roland RT-10T tom triggers? Did i get a defective trigger? If i can't figure out this problem, i'll just be returning it to sweetwater.

btw, i used several different mic cables, so it didn't have anything to do with that. a Ddrum trigger on the same channel did nothing of the sort.

i have the rt kick trigger, at first i fucking hated that thing it was so damn touchy, we could touch the cable and the thing would trigger. we ended up having to turn the xtalk and gain down on the alesis module.. im not sure if this helps you but for us it works fine now.

i have the rt kick trigger, at first i fucking hated that thing it was so damn touchy, we could touch the cable and the thing would trigger. we ended up having to turn the xtalk and gain down on the alesis module.. im not sure if this helps you but for us it works fine now.

i'm not using a module. Running it straight into my 003 mic pre, then into drumagog

Buy or build a line pad. Your sticking a microphone on a drum skin that is getting whacked with a stick! I love those drum triggers BTW!

No he's not. The trigger is clipping the PREAMP. The trigger itself isn't clipping, it's the output of it.

Wish I could help Brian, I've used Roland triggers for both kick drums while recording one band but they went directly into his DM5 module, which I recorded the MIDI output of. You should really pick a DM5 up man, having the MIDI makes life a lot easier :)

No he's not. The trigger is clipping the PREAMP. The trigger itself isn't clipping, it's the output of it.

Wish I could help Brian, I've used Roland triggers for both kick drums while recording one band but they went directly into his DM5 module, which I recorded the MIDI output of. You should really pick a DM5 up man, having the MIDI makes life a lot easier :)

He has one IIRC.

I have one, but still prefer the mic cable into the preamp over using midi, simply because i dont have to rely on the DM5 triggering correctly on softer hits. With the WAV right in front of me, i can visually see every single hit on the kick track, whether or not it triggers correctly in drumagog. This is a huge deal when working with metal bands with alot of technical/fast playing.

I've only used the snare one and it worked OK on my Profire.

did you run it into a line level input or was it a mic pre?

brian, have you tried running into the analog line-ins on the digi instead? I have a digi002 so i'd be curious to know the results

My 003R+ doesnt have line level inputs :bah: stupidest crap ever

i have line level inputs on my API A2D, so i'll try it out. Even if it works, it's not worth wasting one of my API channels on 1 drum trigger. I use those pre's for my overhead.

My 003R+ doesnt have line level inputs :bah: stupidest crap ever

i have line level inputs on my API A2D, so i'll try it out. Even if it works, it's not worth wasting one of my API channels on 1 drum trigger. I use those pre's for my overhead.

try it just for examples sake! atleast we'd know for future reference if triggers are pumping out hot enough for line level.

I think that's what he means. I mean, they worked well for Lyle Cooper (Faceless) when we used his. He's really picky about triggers picking up his hits because he is a really dynamic player at times. Ah that's cool you have one, I usually throw a shitty mic in front of the kick too just in case I ever miss any lighter hits from the DM5.. however, I also set it so that it will be too sensitive rather than miss them as far as trigger gain/xtalk/etc.

OT, do you guys stuff the shit out of anything you're triggering once you've taken samples of it? i'm talkin like filled to the brim with packing peanuts. i have old shells layin around and that's what I planned on doing. but by that point it seems like it almost makes more sense to just get roland v-drum pads. thoughts?

I have heard of some bigger bands recording drums that way, maybe even Dimmu Borgir? I think that one Martriden album as well. Works really well, especially for those drummers that complain about e-kit pads not feeling the same or being the same size, etc.

run it through a di with more pads!

my band's drummer uses the roland kick trigger with a td-6 module for live. works great. im sure it would work just as well in the studio.