Roll Call: Pagan Fest USA 2008

I dunno, advertising Susperia, Horrorscope and Persuader, then booking a load of metalcore just turned me off to the fest. More power to them cause it will do well, hopefully it builds some name recognition, but to book a trip to Chicago to see bands I can just spend $20 for a NYC trip to see isn't worth it for me.

I understand your disappointment about Susperia, Horrorscope and Persuader...but from what I know, it wasn't the promoter's fault. One didn't receive any financial help, one became unavailable and the other decided not to make the trip (not sure why).

Oh, and for the person who said something about lip piercings and calling me a boy? HA! I happen to have no piercings (besides one on each ear for earings) and I am a 30-year-old woman. The vocals on the so-called metalcore bands may not be exactly my taste, but I am open-minded enough and can see past the vocals to enjoy the music...which is what I intend to do when I attend Powerfest. :)

I understand your disappointment about Susperia, Horrorscope and Persuader...but from what I know, it wasn't the promoter's fault. One didn't receive any financial help, one became unavailable and the other decided not to make the trip (not sure why).

Okay, things like that happen in the world of promoting. Bands cancel and can't get into the country. Doesn't mean I have to go to a concert that I dislike a majority of the bands at just because the promoter tried to get a few good bands on there and it didn't work. And if they weren't definate, then why advertise them at all? I don't want to imply that the promoters just put those names up there to solicit donations, because that doesn't appear to be the case. But if I financially commited to the fest based off that, I'd be seriously disappointed and feel cheated.

It's like this. Say I wanted to go to a fest that had like a majority good bands on it and some good bands I saw a lot but still enjoy. One of the reasons I'm going to the fest cancels and gets replaced with an utter crap band. No big deal, I can live with that. Then 2 bands get cancelled and replaced with 2 more bands I can't stand.

It's not about being open minded because I do give a lot of bands a chance. However, if I'm flying out to see a fest based on those 5 bands, 3 cancel and 1 announces a show in short distance from you, will you still fly?

You know the fest will succeed. The bands are so different people will come to see a few bands, leave, then the power metal fans will come just to see Iced Earth.

Of course I'm not just targeting Powerfest. I seriously may sell my Wacken tickets on the same principal and just do Party San and Bloodstock instead.

Okay, things like that happen in the world of promoting. Bands cancel and can't get into the country. Doesn't mean I have to go to a concert that I dislike a majority of the bands at just because the promoter tried to get a few good bands on there and it didn't work. And if they weren't definate, then why advertise them at all? I don't want to imply that the promoters just put those names up there to solicit donations, because that doesn't appear to be the case. But if I financially commited to the fest based off that, I'd be seriously disappointed and feel cheated.

It's like this. Say I wanted to go to a fest that had like a majority good bands on it and some good bands I saw a lot but still enjoy. One of the reasons I'm going to the fest cancels and gets replaced with an utter crap band. No big deal, I can live with that. Then 2 bands get cancelled and replaced with 2 more bands I can't stand.

It's not about being open minded because I do give a lot of bands a chance. However, if I'm flying out to see a fest based on those 5 bands, 3 cancel and 1 announces a show in short distance from you, will you still fly?

You know the fest will succeed. The bands are so different people will come to see a few bands, leave, then the power metal fans will come just to see Iced Earth.

Of course I'm not just targeting Powerfest. I seriously may sell my Wacken tickets on the same principal and just do Party San and Bloodstock instead.

If I was only considering going for one day (as you say you would do) then no, I wouldn't go if the situation were to be what you stated above.

If I wanted to go all three days and 2 (or three as you say) of the 11 bands were the only ones I didn't like....then yes, I'd still go.

I agree...you should not have to go to see a show if you do not like the majority of the bands. I was merely stating that the situtation of the three bands that were tentatively booked was out of the promoter's control.

Because vocals aren't relevant to a band's music at all right?

It depends on how you look at it.

For me, there are bands I like just for the vocals...then there are bands I like just for the guitar riffs. Then there are bands that have all the elements I like. I don't know if it's just the way I look at things, but if there is something that catches my ear about the band, I won't necessarily dismiss it if there is an element of the band I'm not crazy about.

Joe's got his arguin' hat on ;)

As for Paganfest...I will be at the NYC, Allentown (just come with me, Joe) and Massachusetts dates (New England Metal & Hardcore fest...now, ya wanna talk about a dozen or so good bands lumped in with untold numbers of shitty bands...). Might make it to the VA date at Jaxx (my dear friends in Sil Veth are opening the show!) and was considering hitting up Chicago, too, but the Powerfest lineup has nothing of interest for me either, save Suidakra.