Romance Is Dead - Parkway Drive cover!

taylorshreds

Shred it
Sep 18, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
The DI's aren't perfect, but they are decent enough. I'm going to finish recording tomorrow and will add vocals as well. But as far as the mix goes lemme know what I can do to improve! It's late at night so I mixed the whole thing in my headphones. Thanks guys, hope you enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm a parkway drive fan, and this is fucking awesome! Br00tal dude!!! HAHA! I really think the mix is good dude. Everything is heavy, nice lows that arent overpowering or muddy! Good job recreating this sound.

UPDATE: And now that I listen to it again through my good speakers, haha, no offense, but the mix is obviously not as good as I thought.(Sorry) So I have to retract my statement. And as for the drums, I think the kick is a bit too loud. Is there bass in this? If so, its very weak and not preset if there at all. I know PD's about using bass as a fill-in instrument, but it's definitely not doing that here. Anyways, I think guitars are on track, but need the bass desperately for the low end. That's about it.

No offense taken man! It was a really quick mix with POD and Slate in the middle of the night, but I thought I got a decent bass/kick mix.

I just got a Blackstar Series One 100 head with a matching cab, but I don't have the right mics to mic the cab. The Series One 100 doesn't have the Overdrive 1 & 2 channels, it just goes up to Super Crunch. If I were to use the head as a send to my interface (the amp sounds great, just needs more gain) what would you guys recommend I do in the chain? I know I'd put a cab sim on it with Lecab, but what would I want to use to get more gain? I have a Tube Screamer that I would plug into my amp, but what plugins should I use to get more distortion?

Here's an update of the mix. Instead of POD I used TSE 808+TSE X50 with Travis's Mesa 6L6 cab impulse. Also turned down the kick a bit and made the snare a tad bit more cracky.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix is real muddy. Try taking some 250hz out of the entire mix. Guitars are also too loud in the mix. Try also to take some mids out, not much, to try and make the a little heavier. Overall it's a good effort. Just needs a little tweaking. If your using Pro Tools send me over the session file and Ill mess with it some.

Your bass drum's almost there bro. Raise it like 1-1.50DB and you should be good. That should give it the stand out it needs