Romanian Black Metal

If you buy the digipack version of their latest album, you get a piece of an juniper twig, so that you can really smell the romanian forests :)

jons said:
If you buy the digipack version of their latest album, you get a piece of an juniper twig, so that you can really smell the romanian forests :)

I left Romania when I was 9, so I never really appreciated the beauty of its forests... :( I try to keep in touch with my heritage though. I'm overly patriotic about Romania. :-D

It's too bad few people know Negura Bunget. It IS pretty intense black metal, pushing it to the extreme but it's excellent music. And OMG the concept. :-O

So, what do you, or anyone else for that matter, think of Defect? I think that they're really cool. They're not for everyone, though. That tradidional stuff they do is just great in my book.

There's more goin' on in RO than this site, but it's a great portal.

Seriously, what's more metal than the Carpathian Mountains?

http://www.valahmetal.go.ro/

Also, my favorite rock band is from Romania, Phoenix. They're undescribable. It's pure classic rock at its finest.

ANd sorry, I haven't heard of Defect... :( I"ve heard of Carpathian Mountains, but I haven't heard their stuff. I'm going back to Romania this summer, hopefully, and I'm going to buy a lot more metal albums. Thx for the site btw, it's a nice read. :)

Oh, and you're welcome Illbeleavinnow. I've got a couple of more that I'll try to find. My link lists are all over the place at the moment. That's the best one I've found, though.

metu, he probably meant closed-minded as far as their history goes. Personally I'm fascinated with the Tracians and the Dacian branch, but most people could care less.

I don't like the state of Romania right now.... It needs to get back on its feet. =/ Do you know how prosperous and peaceful it was back when King Mihai was still in power? And then those fucking Russians with their communism and Ceausescu and all those fuckers.. It pisses me off. :(:(:mad:

Oh and by state I mean status. :)

Well, the public for black metal (extreme metal) is quite 'old'. And you kids are not attracted to that. Not as much as they are to other genres of metal. It's quite hard if you're 16-17 to make an extreme band. At least for me...

illbeleavinnow: Be careful with that blame game. I understand the frustration and respect your understanding of the characters involved. I'm an Irish American and I know the score. The English and Russians aren't to blame. We're just victims of circumstance. Location, location, location.

Also, what cities will you be hitting on your vacation? Maybe Demonicum can suggest a club or something.

Demonicum: Are you familiar with the phrase "when it rains, it pours"? It seems fitting.

Seems like an ideal place for a lyrical, spiritual and positively enlightening metal scene, doesn't it? The sort of place just crying out for a cultural and spiritual revolution?! The sort of scene that makes the zombies crawl out of their tombs to howl at the moon.

metu said:
Seems like an ideal place for a lyrical, spiritual and positively enlightening metal scene, doesn't it? The sort of place just crying out for a cultural and spiritual revolution?! The sort of scene that makes the zombies crawl out of their tombs to howl at the moon.

:lol:

Also, on the blame game thing. I am not blaming the english, nor the russians, nor do I hold a grudge, but I do believe that it wasn't necessary for the russian govt at the time to impose communism on the countries they "owned".

But then again, I don't know too much about this topic so please correct me if I say something stupid. :)

Anyways, I don't know what cities I want to get. I definitely will be going to Timisoara, maybe I can meet up with Demonicum. =P

Mmm zombies...

Oh, I bet you know more about Romanian history than I do. I bet Demonicum knows more about it than both of us together.

The reason I mention the English is to point out the similarities between the Irish and the Romanian people. We're both fucked by location. I used to bitch about the English all the time. Then, as I saw more and more of the world, and began to understand what a giant clusterfuck the world really is, I figured that the English would have been stupid to not dominate the shitty little island to the west. If they didn't, someone else would have.

I can see people swearing at their computer screens saying that I'm making excuses for my country's recent bad behavior. I like to call it knowing the difference between the swastika and the iron cross. I will never loose track no matter what the nation.

I guess I would just appreciate it if you would say Soviet rather than Russian. I mean, the regular Russian, working at a factory all week and standing in a breadline for 12 hours on a Saturday is not the bad guy.

So, Demonicum, what are the Romanian youth listening to these days? Also, in the last five years, how has the scene grown? Do you think the scene can make a real difference in the next few years? Are you a part of one of the greatest websites I've ever seen called "Negura"?