Romanian Black Metal

illbeleavinnow said:
Who here has heard of the Romanian band Negura Bunget? Other than me of course. :tickled:

Ahem. They're an excellent black metal band, and if you haven't heard them yet, I suggest trying to find a copy. All their albums are good.

sounds interesting, i'll check them out and add them to the librarius database, thanks for the tip :)

Illbeleavinnow: Damn. And I was feeling all shitty for taking the conversation so far away from music. I'm glad I made my point. Thanks for noticing. :]

I think you should check out Defect. I'm pretty sure you can link to them through and download them from Valahmetal. They're not the best band in the world, but they're worth a listen.

Vokodlok is good. They can be found at mp3.com. I guess they'd be called black/death metal. They rock.

metu said:
Oh, I bet you know more about Romanian history than I do. I bet Demonicum knows more about it than both of us together.

The reason I mention the English is to point out the similarities between the Irish and the Romanian people. We're both fucked by location. I used to bitch about the English all the time. Then, as I saw more and more of the world, and began to understand what a giant clusterfuck the world really is, I figured that the English would have been stupid to not dominate the shitty little island to the west. If they didn't, someone else would have.

I can see people swearing at their computer screens saying that I'm making excuses for my country's recent bad behavior. I like to call it knowing the difference between the swastika and the iron cross. I will never loose track no matter what the nation.

I guess I would just appreciate it if you would say Soviet rather than Russian. I mean, the regular Russian, working at a factory all week and standing in a breadline for 12 hours on a Saturday is not the bad guy.

So, Demonicum, what are the Romanian youth listening to these days? Also, in the last five years, how has the scene grown? Do you think the scene can make a real difference in the next few years? Are you a part of one of the greatest websites I've ever seen called "Negura"?

Well, romanian youth, most of them, just 'go with the flow'. I try to explain to them that most bands that they listen to have no past or future, just present. What's bad is that I know a lot of friends of mine who aren't close minded at all. They would be perfect for metal (not neceseary black) but if his or her's best friend likes a dance band how could she/he lisen to somethinf that's sometimes well.....not that 'happy'
Not sure if you know what i ment there.

I understand what you mean perfectly, demonicum. :) The thing is, every Romanian that I know (rather my parents know, they throw parties every friday and about 40-50 Romanians come in one house and party :zombie: ), they all like dance music. They love to dance and have a good time, so it's understandable why they wouldn't like black metal or metal in general.

I'm not disappointed with that, if that's what they like so be it, but I am pissed that a good band like Negura Bunget isn't getting the attention it deserves. If only their lyrics weren't in Romanian. =P

Demonicum: Honestly, I was more looking for what kind of music is popular. But, you answered a better question than I meant to ask.

Short-sighted music I can very much understand. I guess there's the dance music which gets the masses out on the floor and forget their troubles everywhere. Even if there is a message to a dance song, most people won't understand or care. It's a frustrating problem. Believe me, I know.

Is there a counter-culture musical movement other than the struggling metal one? By that I mean, where else do open minded people find musical inspiration in RO?

Also, is traditional romanian music popular over there?

Illbeleavinnow: That's a good point. Sometimes, when there's a party, good time music is in order. Sometimes you just have to cut loose and have a good time. I'm sure you can understand the danger of having too much good time music, though. Listening to 50 Cent at a party is one thing. I'd rather not, but that's just a matter of taste. Listening to him all week long is just escaping from reality. I'm sure the marketing in Romania isn't as advanced, but I'm sure the angles are all the same.

Oh, and you're welcome for the suggestions.

I came accrosse a really good interview with Negura Bunget a couple of days ago.

http://nazgulzine.free.fr/April-interviews/negura-bunget.htm

Well I can't say I know what the music is like in Romania now, but I know a lot of bands use many Romanian folk themes in their music, especially Phoenix. Btw, have you heard of Phoenix demonicum? If anyone hasn't, try to find a copy of their CDs, especially Mugur de Fluier or Cei Ce Ne-au Dat Nume. They're amazing CDs, honestly I think Phoenix is one of the best rock bands of all time.

Well about dance music, I wasn't thinking 50 Cent or rave type dance music, I was thinking about good ole fashioned Ace of Base or 2Unlimited dance music, but that works too. :D

Thx for the interview, I'm reading it now.

Sure I know phoenix! Every imbecil from over here knows phoenix. As fore a party...well It would be quite absurd to play black metal at a party ,if you ask me. But there are rock bands you can play and have a good time. Megadeth for example. Or thrash metal.

metu: well, for musical inspiration...depends. You cand do like Negura does. from the nature and from the past.
Traditional Music? Well... things are complicated. here. I personally don't really like it but some things are really good, if done witha a certain measure. I'd rather lsiten to that then dance. No, it's not popular among youngsters. Unfortunately

Illbeleavinnow: That's a good interview, isn't it? Now, I guess, you see how you've sparked this sort of conversation. I haven't heard Phoenix. Do you have a link for them?

Demonicum: I read an article recently which discussed the variety in romanian folk music. I wish I had the link here, but I don't. From what I understand, Romania is a mixture of many cultures. Romanians, Carpathians, Russians, Slavs, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Bohemians, Gypsies...I know I'm forgeting some. That's very interesting to me.

Is that what you mean when you say "things are complicated"?

How much of this variety do you see?

Well, blaming that on communism is like blaming an ambush in Afghanistan on terrorism. It's an easy buzz-word missing the point. Romania and it's neighbors were "ethnically cleansed" by Stalin and his henchmen.

I always thought I would get along well with gypsies. They seem like they know how to party and their music is a blast. Maybe it's the Kerry blood in me veins.

Well, it depends on what you consider gypsies. If you mean the homeless people, hell no. Gypsies are not really romanian. They came from asia in the 13th centurie and established themselfes here, so they're not really apart of romanian culture. I hate gypsies. We would need some sort of Hitler to eradicate them all.
As for teh other cultures, well, sure, there are other culture. Every country has them. That ain't the problem here. The negative influence that youngsters get from what they see on tv, magazine etc...

Gypsies always chased me and tried to scare me when I was a kid. I really hate them too. But what reallly gets on my nerves are all the people who associate gypsies with Romania or vice versa. They are not part of the culture! They are from India (or other Asian parts) and simply immigrated to Romania.

What TV shows are there on Romania nowadays anyways? They still got classic Cartoon Network or has it also been killed by the new crap cartoons?

I'm checking out Taine right now. In the game for a solid decade, eh? That's cool.

-----

Damn, I like it. Raw, tight riffage with ballsy rhythms. Good melodic parts, too.