Room mic's / suggestions

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

Im gonna guy some room mics and i wonder if you guys had any suggestions.
Im thinking of something cheap, i think someone suggested a cheap mic from thomann in the past.

Im gonna use a combination of cheap stereo pair (to smash) and my Peluso 2247LE as a close ambience (more for snare and kick)

Cheers / Christian

Having the T-bone rb100, rb500 and rm700, I would suggest a pair of rb500 in MS config.
The rb100 is very dark sounding. The rm700, I can't really tell yet. I only recieved it last week. It seems to be somwhere in between.
Maybe I'll make a "cheap ribbon" shoutout next week.

The fun thing about room micing is that you can really play around with different stuff. You can compress the fuck out of it, do it in mono or stereo, place the mics in really weird places, and in the end a cheapo no-name mic can work better than a 414 or U87 in that particular situation. Screw around and go wild, and when you get a good vibe of what you're hearing, settle with that :)

get some ribbon stuff. It rocks for very compressed room sounds. 414s have too much hi end, imho, and you have to cut a shitload of highs to make it work.

coles 4038 are incredible.
414s in omni are nice.
royer 121s
and the tbonr rm100s are all good

Next project I'll use a stereo pair: one superlux tube condenser in omni and one behringer ecm8000, panning them L & R, and maybe a mono mic.
In the next future I would buy a pair of cheap T-Bone tube mics from thomann.

Ok thnks guys, think im gonna go for the T-bone RB100.

Btw does anone have a link to a MS mounting holder that would fit the RB100?? Seems pretty hard to narrow it down through different search words.

The fun thing about room micing is that you can really play around with different stuff. You can compress the fuck out of it, do it in mono or stereo, place the mics in really weird places, and in the end a cheapo no-name mic can work better than a 414 or U87 in that particular situation. Screw around and go wild, and when you get a good vibe of what you're hearing, settle with that :)

Yeah, my latest project i used my Peluso 2247LE as an close ambience mic, say about 1m from the snare, so the snare would peak about 3-4db over the rest of the bleed. Had great results so thats a keeper for me in future drum sessions, gave the Snare allot more body and glued it better to the rest of the kit.

Well for room mics you are going to smash id say stick with a dynamic like a good oul 57 i always find dynamics take lots of compression better imo

mid side? with ribbons?
surely you mean blumlein. (yes you can do it with fig 8, but ideally you should use cardioid)

mid side? with ribbons?
surely you mean blumlein. (yes you can do it with fig 8, but ideally you should use cardioid)

Yah, if you're referring to my post, I was answering to Christian's (crillemannen) enquiry about an M/S mounting holder. :wave:

I've been satisfied with Blumlein from my ribbons, haven't felt the need to try anything else (yet, as I've only had them for a while).

Think I may pick up another RB 100 for trying a few of these stereo techniques. I got one and like it on alot of stuff but it's quite muffled for drums I find. But for 80 euro how bad!

mid side? with ribbons?
Try it sometime. Not only you can use two fig 8, but it sounds amazing for room mic'ing, even bigger than the regular cardio+fig 8 because the Mid channel pick both the source and the rear reflexions.