Room Treatment

Ponderifica

New Metal Member
Sep 20, 2011
Orlando, FL
www.ponderifica.com
Ok so I need a few opinions on this if possible. I'm treating my room acoustically with some foam, but Im concerned about my desk placement and the actual room.

Its a very rectangle room, I believe the dimensions are 19x14. 3 doors, entrance, closet and bathroom. 2 windows both on the same wall.

Heres a link to the layou, http://pl.an/wwfwz4

My question is, before treating my room, should I consider re positioning my desk? Or is it good?

- remove everything from the room, (temporarily).
- play some music in the room, using a portable stereo.
- take note of the response in the space.
- start putting items back in the room, noticing the effect they have on the response

***one of the best places to put the desk in a square/rectangular room is catty-corner. if the space will not allow it, you must focus your attention on the refections and standing waves in the corners of the room as well as the space behind the desk.

- diffuse reflections using acoustic diffusers.
- you can eliminate standing waves (for the most part) using bass traps.

personally, i use very little acoustic treatment in my home "studio" ...as this can be extremely expensive and complicated (most houses are not built for acoustics). the majority of my time/money spent was capturing the room's acoustics and spot diffusing any disparities, then compensating for room anomalies in the mix.

i suppose one of the important principles is knowing your room... and learning as much as you can about how it treats your mixes.

a lot can be said about this... as a matter of fact, there are hundreds (if-not thousands) of books and dvd's about it.

hope this helps. ;)

I didn't exactly do that, but as I moved in I took note with a snare drum when I did something to the room. So I put carpet tile down and took note, once I put the bed in, desk, etc. I just switched my room to this one http://pl.an/iimfr9. I can already tell the flutter isn't nearly as bad. I took a psychoacoustics and acoustics class and we learned all about diffusion, reverbation, reflections, standing waves etc. I just really need to apply all that now and I'm still unsure with my room. I still need to learn it a bit more, but I do have my early reflection spots planned out now and have a few ideas for where to put the foam.

I will need bass traps eventually, I think that will probably help more than tenfold. I just mainly want to eliminate the early reflections and create a suitable mixing zone for my self. Thanks!