RUNNING A METAL RECORD LABEL IN 2011

Aug 6, 2006
Saw this on Metalsucks.com:

THE 16 CARDINAL RULES FOR RUNNING A METAL RECORD LABEL IN 2011

1. Fire your entire sales staff, if you still have any. They’re quickly becoming obsolete, a floppy disk in an Internet world.

2. Accept that the CD is a dead format and plan now for a future without them. At best, CDs will end up as souvenirs for the hardest of the hardcore fans, much like vinyls are now.

3. Ditch your out-dated distribution deal with the major. Handle all physical item sales in-house through your webstore. Distro deals still have value, but it’s limited value, and that value won’t last long. Sign a new non-exclusive distribution deal for physical retail only to reap the remaining cash stream from that channel while it lasts (2-3 years max).

4. Sign up for TuneCore to get your artists tracks on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Handle all digital distribution in-house.

5. Close your office in the expensive/hip downtown locale. Get super-cheap office space in a warehouse in the exurbs or industrial urban area.

6. Sign all of your bands to 360 deals, or some variant thereof (180, 270, whatever). In order to make it in today’s world you’ve got to have merch rights. Think of it not as the record label grabbing a band’s rights, but acting as more of a manager than a proper record label.

7. Set up a robust, easy to use webstore for all of your bands’ physical product including CDs, vinyls and t-shirts. Use your office space as a storage room and handle all shipping in-house. Delegate shipping duties to interns.

8. Release albums digitally on the same day across the entire world. End of story. The Internet is global; deal with it. If a physical product release is staggered due to manufacturing, marketing or other concerns, make sure the release is available digitally everywhere whenever the first physical product hits.

9. Buy a t-shirt-printing machine. Handle all short and medium-run shirt-printing in-house. This will pay for itself in a matter of months.

10. Leave the bigger bands to the agencies, but hire an in-house booking agent to work the smaller bands to small clubs. Touring at this level is crucial for developing bands, and an agent is the most important player in today’s music industry landscape.

11. Hire someone whose sole job it is to handle the roster’s online presence (for bigger labels, hire a team). This person must have an intimate understanding of basic web technology, emerging internet trends, social network best practices and online advertising.

12. Create and manage accounts on all the major social networks for every one of your bands, for those bands who don’t already do so themselves. Delegate the day-to-day updating of these accounts to interns. Don’t waste anyone’s time designing/updating MySpace; keeping music and tour dates up-to-date there is enough, in case any fans happen to stumble through.

13. Don’t waste time and money creating .com websites for your bands. No one visits them.

14. Hire an in-house graphic designer.

15. Create exclusive, limited edition pre-order bundles.

14. Retain an in-house publicist, but don’t be averse to hiring out-of-house for certain projects.

15. Do not expect to turn a profit on a band’s first release.

16. Do not expect to make much money, period. Expect a modest living. Thems the breaks; the good old days are over.

Some good thoughts, but I also think it should be taken with a grain of salt. Physical media is still very viable, it just depends on the demographic.

As for not having a .com website - that is total BS - they are still vitally important to tie everything together. Social media is transitory and fad-driven - you need a central hub for the fans to find information on a more permanent and media-rich basis. It's very easy to set up a WordPress site on a LAMP host, and you can buy templates that are really killer for $50 or less if you don't feel like hiring a designer or doing it yourself, it's worth having a .com site!!

I agree with Shane on that, on the rest it does seem like it's the way to go. Seems like a job that could be done by a band itself if everyone in the band really puts the effort and hence no record label is needed, at least until you get really big and start working with booking agents and other stuff

It seems like the big point that their trying to make is that record labels are turning into distributors and managers. I have to agree with this.

Some good thoughts, but I also think it should be taken with a grain of salt. Physical media is still very viable, it just depends on the demographic.

As for not having a .com website - that is total BS - they are still vitally important to tie everything together. Social media is transitory and fad-driven - you need a central hub for the fans to find information on a more permanent and media-rich basis. It's very easy to set up a WordPress site on a LAMP host, and you can buy templates that are really killer for $50 or less if you don't feel like hiring a designer or doing it yourself, it's worth having a .com site!!

While I dont agree that having a band website is a waste of time and money, I must be honest and say that I cant even remember the last time I have went to any .com band websites.

Now most of the time I just look them up on facebook/myspace or wiki if its a big band I just want a bit of background about.

I disagree with a lot of that.

Own tshirt printing? Do your own mailings? CD's dead? In house graphics designer? Does not mention how important the social medias are like reverb nation, message boards, twitter etc etc.

Everything can be automated online. Including selling CD's, tshirts etc etc. And it is cheaper.

You don't need a physical warehouse these days. And graphic designers online are falling over themselves for you business for next to nothing.

For me CD/Vinyl is one of the ultimate combinations of art because it combines music,studio recording,graphic design,photography and printing.
I'm still buying albums really often(and if you want something cheap amazon rules) and i support the bands and the labels.
it's funny when people say"i dont have money" but you see them on the pub spending 20 euros each day..
i cannot compare buying the original product with downloading it(illegaly or not) and i hate ipods and shit like that.
another HUGE problem is that when people download illegaly releases from small bands then there is no way that they will have some money in order to move the band,book liveshows easier and/or collect a good ammount for the studio.that goes for the small labels too.

Own tshirt printing? Do your own mailings? CD's dead? In house graphics designer? Does not mention how important the social medias are like reverb nation, message boards, twitter etc etc.

Everything can be automated online. Including selling CD's, tshirts etc etc. And it is cheaper.

You don't need a physical warehouse these days. And graphic designers online are falling over themselves for you business for next to nothing.

Using automated systems for CD's, like Kunaki (who I'd think you are referring to), is easy, but I'm not content for the packaging to be so bare bones and limited. And really, it isn't any cheaper (I'd actually argue against it being cheaper in the long run) than doing it yourself - provided you sell more than 10 copies of your album. You can get 1K CD's pressed for around 1K these days...That's a far cry cheaper than Kunaki, and you get a LOT more choice in how the product looks (booklet pages, jewel cases, etc.), and they rape you on shipping. Same goes for automated merch generating companies, like Cafepress and similar places. I personally wouldn't be happy knowing people who cared enough about my band bought stuff from us and I have no real idea whether or not they are getting a good product and service from those automated places. I like stuffing the packages and dropping them off to be shipped. It lets me know with 100% certainty that things were done the way I'd want them done. Plus the initial markup of those places assure a band limited profits unless you absurdly price your items, or again, only sell a handful of merch, so profit generating really makes no difference.

My band still does a FAR better amount of physical sales (which I guess shouldn't be surprising for a no name local band), and I vastly prefer buying CD's to downloading, but I think a lot of the points are valid...Namely trying to keep things in house and DIY for the labels...And most of the points are things local bands should be doing anyway, and keeping all of the duties within the band assures the most financial gain, provided the band has someone who can do those duties well (graphic design, web presence, booking, and even recording).

I think this list is pretty much to the point, regardless of genre. Have to agree with Kazrog on the demographic point though. Some people still prefer the physical medium. It is certainly changing, but the transformation hasn't happened fully yet.

Also, being with a bigger distributor can get your releases some exposure (and don't forget: contacts!) that you'll never get from using tunecore or similar services. At least that's the experience I have from running a small label the last three years.

I also can't believe they did not mention in-house recording. Lots of band's are doing this now and I think it would be wise for labels to have this service available.

Points 11 and 12 address the social media thing and and they mention the graphic designer thing too.

Alot of what they says makes great sense. I wouldn't be happy with the label printing shirts but thats about the only thing on there that I find I disagree with. The old business models are for a pre 2000 era and time is gone. Sucks for the likes of us who are trying to make some kind of living in music/audio

The CD being/becoming dead thing is bullshit.

Dunno about that. I buy local bands CD's all the time but it's rare enough that I buy a big bands CD unless i know its going to be truly special. It's for a few reasons. They're massively overpriced here and the selection is terrible. 29 euro each for Symphony X's, Devin Townshend and Scar Symmettry's last offerings in the local HMV. Translate that to dollars and it comes to over 40$. Whos gonna pay that for a CD they mightn't even like, not to mention the stock is the worst here.

Sure I can buy online but I've no paypal and don't have a credit card so online shopping isn't something I can do easily. Not a laziness thing, it's to do with my bank A/C.

I'm not alone in this, had a big discussion with a bunch of my mates about it and all came to the conclusion that we only buy a few cd's in the shops a year.