Running long mic/speaker cables?

flytrapx

Jan 8, 2007
Ok, here's my situation: I want to record my cab in my basement from my studio on the 2nd floor of my house. I'd like to keep the head upstairs also. My original plan was to get a speaker cable 60' long (distance I measured to basement) for the amp to cab and then a balanced TRS cable so I can keep the mic-pre by the mic and run the line level signal the 60' or so up.(I've done a lot of testing with the pre so I know what settings I can leave it at and still be ok) Now what do you guys think about this? On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having the mic-pres by me while tracking. Would a 60' mic cable run be too long and cause a degradation of the signal? I'm looking to see what other people have done with a similar situation and if anyone has noticed a distinct sound difference from tracking within 20-30' of cable runs(3' with the speaker cable).

I've been told that long speaker cables are cool (no signal loss). The long mic cable will give you some signal loss, though. Between the 20' cable from my mic, the 20' cable in the wall, and the 10' cable going to a pre, from the wall, I end up with around 50 to 60'. I wouldn't be able to track a drum kit or a cab any other way, though. I have no problems with that much cable. I use Mogami cable though. You should be cool.

I've been told that long speaker cables are cool (no signal loss). The long mic cable will give you some signal loss, though. Between the 20' cable from my mic, the 20' cable in the wall, and the 10' cable going to a pre, from the wall, I end up with around 50 to 60'. I wouldn't be able to track a drum kit or a cab any other way, though. I have no problems with that much cable. I use Mogami cable though. You should be cool.

So you have 50'-60' of mic cable before you hit the pre? That sounds good. If I could get away with that than I would be set. I was looking at canare star quad cable which is pretty good quality, though I'd have to make everything myself.
Anyone else have a similar setup?

So you have 50'-60' of mic cable before you hit the pre? That sounds good. If I could get away with that than I would be set. I was looking at canare star quad cable which is pretty good quality, though I'd have to make everything myself.
Anyone else have a similar setup?
no but I'm planning on it. cables that long are extremely susceptible to noise so pick yourself up some ferrite beads

I am running 30' Speaker and Mic cables. I try not to run them right next to each other, probably spaced 6" and any time they cross each other, I try to make it close to 90 degrees. Don't really notice any noise.

Yeah, you wanna keep your cables from running parallel to POWER LINES. I have my electrical in conduit from the box to the outlets, and I run the cables way the fuck away from that shit. I've never had a buzz, or any noise.

I am running 30' Speaker and Mic cables. I try not to run them right next to each other, probably spaced 6" and any time they cross each other, I try to make it close to 90 degrees. Don't really notice any noise.

I never heard that running speaker cables by mic cables is a bad thing? Is this true? Power cables are naughty but isn't a speaker cable sending a signal?

I was planning on running the speaker cable right along with the mic cables.

I never heard that running speaker cables by mic cables is a bad thing? Is this true? Power cables are naughty but isn't a speaker cable sending a signal?

I run mine literally on top of/intertwined with eachother with no adverse affects.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't know if it makes a difference, that's just what I do just in case it did matter. :lol: Sorry for any misunderstanding. :)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't know if it makes a difference, that's just what I do just in case it did matter. :lol: Sorry for any misunderstanding. :)

No,that's cool man. It would be hard for me to separate the two lines so I got worried for a second.

So from what I've heard I should be cool running long speaker and mic cables and be able to keep my head and mic pres in the room. Nice! Thanks for the input guys:kickass: