Running Wild fans???

JosephAcevedo

Jul 31, 2005
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
You know usually when I ask any power metal fan who there favorite power metal band is I usually get Stratovarius, Helloween, Rhapsody, Nightwish, iced Earth, Sonata Arctica or Edguy as thier reply.

Running Wild is my favorite power/speed metal band. I feel they don't get enough credit or recognition ( at least within the U.S. ) . They are probably the only Pirates to over grace the Genre and always have done well. I like to know why Running Wild hasn't played PP yet? I think they would make a great addition. Ralf Kasperick (aka Rock N Ralf) is probably not a shredilicous guitar virtouso but he is a great damn rythm player and writer. There music definetly makes me want to wish i was a one eyed hook on a hand pirate on a journey across the seven sea's and also makes me force posers to walk the plank!

I don't barly see any threads on this forum for Running Wild and now i decided to start one with the intention of hopefully getting the band to play next year.

If any of you are fans of Helloween or Rage or your a old school speed metal fan then RW is for you!!!!!

Dude Pirates kick ass, RW kicks ass, and RW playing PP in pirate gear would be a dream come true. But there has already been a thread at least some what similar to this discussing I think them possibly as a headliner, and I think glenn said it might be a Rage effect with half the people leaving.

Rolf has always stated that he is unwilling to do any shows where he can't do his full stage setup. I would suppose that would preclude them from playing ProgPower. I know he's not even going to places close to germany because of this.

I am a fan, and a BIG fan. At one time, Glenn mentioned RW as being on a "B List" for him because I had mentioned sponsoring Pretty Maids or Running Wild. I must say that the last few cds are not up to snuff, though. I would like to see Rolf work with a BAND again and not just go it alone. I believe the RW legacy has taken a dent due his "go it alone" attitude. But if they ever get back to the melody and power of "Blazon Stone", "Death or Glory" or "Pile of Skulls", then they're a big player in the scene again. And I believe some people would walk out even if a band came onstage and shit gold nuggets. Nothing is enough for some folks so that's the way it goes. Book 'em and see...I'll predict a strong reaction from most.

The only reason RW wouldn't be able to do their full stage routine would be if it's too expensive to justify bringing it over here. The venue is plenty big enough for it.

However, I don't think the crowd response would be big enough to justify shipping all their stage stuff over here -- much less having them headline, as they're not nearly as well-known or as well-liked here as most PPUSA headliners.

woosta said:
Rolf has always stated that he is unwilling to do any shows where he can't do his full stage setup. I would suppose that would preclude them from playing ProgPower. I know he's not even going to places close to germany because of this.

I am a fan, and a BIG fan. At one time, Glenn mentioned RW as being on a "B List" for him because I had mentioned sponsoring Pretty Maids or Running Wild. I must say that the last few cds are not up to snuff, though. I would like to see Rolf work with a BAND again and not just go it alone. I believe the RW legacy has taken a dent due his "go it alone" attitude. But if they ever get back to the melody and power of "Blazon Stone", "Death or Glory" or "Pile of Skulls", then they're a big player in the scene again. And I believe some people would walk out even if a band came onstage and shit gold nuggets. Nothing is enough for some folks so that's the way it goes. Book 'em and see...I'll predict a strong reaction from most.

Well the only album that sucked from them to me was "brotherhood" and it wasn't much of a metal album. If you heard the new album " Rogues in vague " then you'll see that they are playing with power, melody, and speed again. In fact "Rogue in vague" is one of the best cd's i heard in 2005. The only time i think RW came to the states that I know of was back in like 85 on tour with Celtic Frost & Voivod. I don't see how RW could not play propower in terms of a fanbase. I mean Rage played PP before. From what I understand (at least in Europe) that RW sells alot more records then Rage. I don't think the stage venue is too small for a RW show at all. I can see it would be expensive to get their full stage setup shipped here to the states. i just hope there will be a day weather at PP or somewhere else that RW comes to the states again.

JosephAcevedo said:
You know usually when I ask any power metal fan who there favorite power metal band is I usually get Stratovarius, Helloween, Rhapsody, Nightwish, iced Earth, Sonata Arctica or Edguy as thier reply.

Running Wild is my favorite power/speed metal band. I feel they don't get enough credit or recognition ( at least within the U.S. ) . They are probably the only Pirates to over grace the Genre and always have done well. I like to know why Running Wild hasn't played PP yet? I think they would make a great addition. Ralf Kasperick (aka Rock N Ralf) is probably not a shredilicous guitar virtouso but he is a great damn rythm player and writer. There music definetly makes me want to wish i was a one eyed hook on a hand pirate on a journey across the seven sea's and also makes me force posers to walk the plank!

I don't barly see any threads on this forum for Running Wild and now i decided to start one with the intention of hopefully getting the band to play next year.

If any of you are fans of Helloween or Rage or your a old school speed metal fan then RW is for you!!!!!

Well I am a HUGE Helloween fan and can't stand Rage. With that said, I never got into Running Wild, but then again, I never gave them a legit chance. If there was 1 album you would recommend to get me into them, what would it be (taking into account again how much I love Helloween and don't like Rage)?

nightwish58 said:
Well I am a HUGE Helloween fan and can't stand Rage. With that said, I never got into Running Wild, but then again, I never gave them a legit chance. If there was 1 album you would recommend to get me into them, what would it be (taking into account again how much I love Helloween and don't like Rage)?

They put out a greatest hits double CD a couple of years ago, 20 Years In History, that I think adequately covers their back catalog. They are more akin to Helloween than Rage in sound and style, but as much into the Pirate Theme as Manowar is into the Battle theme.

Running Wild is on my "I'd like to see" list, but not on my "Gotta See!!!!" list.
The problem is that Glenn doesn't think they have the fan base to be headliners at PP. I'm sure he has access to SongFile and would know.
I don't think RW would settle for a much lower spot, like a #3 slot, and be able to justify bringing their entire set. Aside from that, it's doubtful that they could set up their stage in the 1/2 hour between shows. If they wouldn't play w/o the stage set up, then a PP appearace seems unlikely.

This discussion came up somewhere else...here is my response (plus more) via a cross-post:

Dustin said:
it's interesting, I see these guys pop up from time to time here as a band a few peeps would like to see here in the states... including myself, which I think I have mentioned before somewhere elese here. But, a majority PP attendee's seem to be unaware of their talent, so it's only obvious that them headling would have a "Rage effect" :tickled: :D

But what still boggles me is how these guys (much like Rage), who are one of the founding fathers of euro-power metal (along side countrymen Helloween, Grave Digger, Blind Guardian ect. ect.) - and in some cirlces - are considred Thrash/Black Metal pioneers (see their debut album Branded & Exiled for more info!). How they seem to have fallen through the cracks in America when it comes to the power metal resurgance is strange. Possibly due to the fact that when this resurgance accured in the late 90's, most of their recent/current catalauge was import only (the GUN records titles specificly), and Noise Records pulled out of the sates around 96'-97' once again, so many metal fans didn't have the option to buy them bindly in a brink-n-motar store like they could the Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray or Helloween when CM, Castle or Music For Nations put them out here in the states. Just a theory. :D

So on this, I have to defainatly agree... they are NOT headlining material in the U.S. However, 3rd slot - or at a streach ... 4th slot - would still do them pleanty justice. Wether Rolf would go for it is yet another story... He would be nuts to not agree to it; he is certainly aware they need more exposure in the states. :cool: either way - I will certainly shit msyelf if they ever come to the states... I have waited 16 years to see them live.

It's hard to actually recommend just one album from Running Wild, being that there are "era's" that are better than others, or have a diffrent sound/feel.

I actually thougth the new album Rouges En Vouge was a step back for RW; The song writting seemd a bit forced and it has a much weaker production, the guitars have way too much effect on them and not enough "oomph" compared to Brotherhood or even The Rivalry. Rouges En Vouge is still a good album, but not Rolf's best. The most aggresive/heaviest album hands down from Running Wild would still be Masqurade. and the most melodic, song oriented power metal albums would be a tie between Death or Glory and Port Royal... My two favorites. :D

Running Wild is pretty much a one-man band at this point, with Rolf doing nearly everything in the studio, and then getting hired guns (this includes Bernd from Angel Dust) to go on the road. Persoanlly, RW was at it's best when it was a band effort in terms of recording abums and writting songs.... but Rolf is the main man, and there would be no Running Wild without him.

\m/
Dustin
Running Wild fan since 94'

Blazon Stone and Death or Glory are my 2 favorites. Can't go wrong with Pile of Skulls, Black Hand Inn, or Port Royal either. But to go with 1, I'd go with Blazon Stone.

..again, its hard to recommend just one or two to start with since they have a vast catalauge, and many are great albums.

However, If you buy just one album this year from RW - IMO you should pick up one of these:

Port Royal
Death or Glory
Masqurade
The Rivalry
The Brotherhood

hell, if you want power metal pirate songs, The Brootherhood has one of the best...ironiclly title "The Pirate Song". That's one to sing along with your Eye-patches on, beer stiens in the air and tappiong along with your wooden peg-leg! :D

\m/
Dustin