Running Windows VST plugins on MacOSX

hct

Apr 7, 2010
There are ways to run Windows VST's on Mac/Logic 9. All you need in theory is a host capable of running Windows VSTs (either in virtual machine or in Wine and some way to route audio between this host (and virtual machine if used) and native apps. Following quickstart guide is just one example (although the simplest one IMHO) to make it work. It does all I personally need, so I haven't looked at alternative ways too much. YMMV and all these other disclaimers ... I'm using Logic 9, but it shouldn't be a problem to apply it to other DAW's if these are VST or AU capable.

You need to install:

V-MACHINES VFX software for MacOSX
A Jack audio connection kit implementation for Mac OS X

• Run JackPilot, doublecheck in preferences that samplerate and buffersize are same as in your Logic and uncheck "Auto-connect with physical ports".
  • Click "Start" in JackPilot main window to start Jack server.
  • In System Preferences set JackRouter as default input and oputput.
  • Start Logic and make it use JackRouter as input and output.
  • Click "Routing" in JackPilot main window and connect system capture with Logic input and Logic output systems playback (click on 'system -> capture_1' and doubleclick on 'Logic Pro -> in1' etc). Verify that input and output works in Logic.
  • Insert JACK-insert plugin into channel in Logic Pro.
  • Run VFX and import a plugin into it (File -> Import VST Plugin...). If VFX crashes at this point or refuses to import a plugin, you are out of luck.
  • Put the plugin into VFX channel 1 slot A (click on small triangle on slot). If VFX crashes at this point, sorry, try another plugin.
  • Do some routing work again in JackPilot - connect Logic AUsend with wine (VFX) in and Logic AUReturn with wine (VFX) out.
  • Click on L and R letters in channel 1 of VFX mixer to activate it as input.
  • Enjoy!

I have used BTE Audio tube screamer and LePou plugins (in serial slots A and B) in this way with success. Again, YMMV.

Some untested theoretical ideas as well ... You should be able to route audio using Jack through any app having inputs and outputs if the app uses CoreAudio. I haven't tested whether virtual machines do that though, feel free to test. For ProTools (no VST or AU and therefore no JACK-insert plugin) users it might be an option to route an input directly through Wine (VFX).

this is sort of interesting, but this would be a million times more useful if you didn't have to use jack in OS X.

i wonder if wacvst will ever be updated...

thanks,

this is sort of interesting, but this would be a million times more useful if you didn't have to use jack in OS X.

It works and does the job.

i wonder if wacvst will ever be updated...

I doubt. There is no such demand as in Linux where there is almost no native plugins and dssi-vst is the only way to run any plugins at all ;). And all these problems with wine (whether particular stuff runs with it at all, even less usable on MacOSX than in Linux etc) will remain anyway.

Just a little idea, aren't there ways to send audio over a network connection? So if you have something like VMware Fusion which puts your virtual Windows machine inside a virtual network you should be able to run Reaper with the desired plugin in there and stream audio over the virtual network? Seams like a similar idea to me, but maybe less dodgy :D

EDIT:
I knew I read about something like this :D
ReaStream
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Imma try that right now