Rush of adrenaline

Dev

UTF-8 professional
Dec 9, 2002
Paris
Ok so I was listening to "Cold Ascending" by Neurosis on Enemy of the Sun (great album btw) . I always go crazy when it accelerates around the 2.20 minute mark : The riff, Scott Kelly's line 'Your eyes are stained - you're shining low... - Candles burn on your star - slowdive in Dave Edwarson's 'ooooooooollllllllldddddddddd' (?) - stain and .. SLIIIIIIIIIIIIDE ON !!!!!!!! Brain is cold ascending - crawl on bits - away - firestarter - crow.. SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDEEE ON !!!! SLIIIIIIIIIIIIDEEEEEEEEEEE ONNNN!!!!!!!

[...]

ITT you list moments when the music either put you in a state of sudden transe or when you feel like destroying everything . Sure most hardcore is full of such passages but *some* post-rock or thrash metal may also fit. Big pace contrasts accompanied by killer riffs are the most effective at doing this I think.

Other examples I can think of :

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep (one of the only post-rock examples that fits, sudden pace change with a small melody that builds up in no time, the drumming is obssesive.. well having 2 drummers help)

The Ocean - One with the Ocean (may be the shortest example , the mini blast-beat that kicks in before the 'One with the Sea' / 'One with the Ocean' part which ends the 'crushing vocals' part , Aeolian is full of this kind of things btw)

Kayo Dot - end of The Manifold Curiosity is pretty god damn intense because it builds so gradually into a swarm. Awesome.

Slayer - outro riff to Sex. Murder. Art. The placement of a few odd-meters is great, and has probably my favorite Araya delivery ever: GOD IS DEAD, I'M ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!

Tool - the whole middle section of Pushit, then when THERE'S NO LOVE IN FEEEEEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRR hits I'm bouncing off walls, sometimes quite literally.

Jerry Cantrell - Pig Charmer. I really do feel like it's 1995 with this one, the main riff/vocal line and slow doomish outro thing in particular. Rules.

NADatar said:
Kayo Dot - end of The Manifold Curiosity is pretty god damn intense because it builds so gradually into a swarm. Awesome.

Add me for the screams at the end , I feel like I'm being consumated in a nuclear reactor or something. o_O

Reign in Acai said:
Death Angel- "Throne to the Wolves" currently makes me want to do cartwheels over hot coals.

that is a great fucking song ...
i still need to see these chinks live

Those chinks are fucking Gods among men. They'll sodomized your ears and speak in to your asshole ever so gently, as cords of jubilation race down your speedo's as if you were going downhill on a schwinn sporting a murph. FUCK YESSSSS!!!!!!!!

me from other thread said:
Go to track #4, "The August Engine part 2" and skip forward to around the 4:30 mark and listen alll the way through to the end of the song. Unbelievable musicianship / songwriting. I mean, it's mind boggling.

That song makes this album sounds like it's some lost metal gem from the 70's. The way the acoustic guitars mesh with the electric.

:worship:

It's one of those moments where you just stop to applaud because it's so surreal. o_O

Elend - Silent Slumber/A God that Breeds Pestilence: when the distorted noise ending kicks in after the beautifully tragic violin stuff, my jaws part in a silent scream and my eyes roll back inside my head.

Dirge - The Endless: "Motherchaos one last time" ---> "Womb" = I scream "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMB" along every fucking time until my lungs look like dried raisins

Hate Forest - Elder Race: the last bunch of animal growls paired with this monolithic hateful riff and some of the most insane blasting ever. I feel like seizing anything within reach and smashing it against whatever surface...

Deathspell Omega - Carnal Malefactor: *insert random track section* :p

more examples later...

That bit in The Karate Kid where he does the crane kick at the end and knocks out Johnny and Elizabeth Shue comes running to hug Daniel with her jugs bouncing about and Mr Myagi is standing there looking cool and all that music is playing and everyone is clapping and cheering.

Such a classic.

Oh yeah, and the first 3 tracks on Sepultura's "Arise" -- title track, Dead Embryonic Cells and Desperate Cry. It don't get much better than that. Open chord riffing with Igor making Lombardo his bitch.

Into Eternity- Shallow gets a rise out of me. (Along with several tunes from Buried into Oblivion)

I loved Elizabeth Shue's tietas in that Nick Cage movie. Yum.

JayKeeley said:
That bit in The Karate Kid where he does the crane kick at the end and knocks out Johnny and Elizabeth Shue comes running to hug Daniel with her jugs bouncing about and Mr Myagi is standing there looking cool and all that music is playing and everyone is clapping and cheering.

Such a classic.
hahaha

Speaking of Arise, when that crazy clean part comes in on... whatever track that is, that part rules. The first 3 songs are the best though.

lurch70 said:
Arise gets waaaaaay too much credit, for it being a bad clone of BTR

It's a continuation (by the same band, not copycat). But look, either way, those first 3 songs are 10/10 and nobody can come up with anything that comes even close to that style.

Max and Igor were perfect together.

An obvious one to start with would be The Call Of Ktulu. When it all stops and those drums come crashing and rumbling in an explosion of released tension, I usually just feel floored from sheer over-powering.

Other than that: the grand final of Estatic Fear's Somnium obmutum, some 28 mins into the song when it all falls into place with a tearing shriek and almost painfully beautiful ambience. That always makes my hairs stand on end and sometimes even sends shivers throgh my entire being.

Reign in Acai said:
Huh I don't remember that part matey? Anal blood fucking disgusts me btw.

Remember the bit when those college dudes rape her, and she goes back to her apartment to take a shower, and she's sitting in the tub and all this blood is seeping out and going down the drain....

Jesus fucking christ, it's always something with JayK and hot women: bad fingernails, bleeding buttholes, missing arms... :loco: