Sabaton

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
After multiple attempts to get into this band....it's finally dawned on me what the issue is for me and it is down to the vocals. MOre specifically the way the singer "rolls the letter R"......heavily prominent on the Heroes album.

Love the music but I cannot get away from the vocal issue unfortunately. I think I gave my copy of "Carolus Rex" to Rich's son....and I suspect the Heroes album will be following the same path.

Of course accents are always going to be a "love/hate" thing but this is the first time it's really bothered me for some reason.

You'll fucking love this song, as well (skip to 4:10 for the best bit :) )

And the chorus to this song will be totally up your street (skip to 1:04, if you're feeling impatient).

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting you bring this up Steve because I was thinking about this exact same thing recently. Musically the band's okay but the vocals just do not click with me. I don't particularly mind the rolled Rs but it does seem to be forced in a lot of what I've heard. The guy's not a bad vocalist, but he doesn't do it for me. I still think they have a couple good songs, but on the whole, can't do 'em.

It did occur to me that maybe Joakim Broden is like a thrash or death metal-type growler, except that the vocal lines are actually proper melodic vocal lines, rather than simply rhythmic barking. I barely notice the rolled Rs. Maybe he just forgets to not roll them when he's speaking English?

Joakim's vocals took the most getting used to when I first got into them too but he has softened since the first few albums and it grows on you. Glad you're giving them a chance anyway Steve :)