Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Anyone else have this? I think this is quite a brilliant piece of melodic black metal in the vein of Dawn and Dissection.

I don't agree with a lot of what the MA elite and Prozak deem essential (like Demilich's "Nespithe"), but I have to agree on this one.

Along with Storm of the Light's Bane and Naer Solen Gar Nider For Evogher, Far Away From the Sun is a crucial piece of an essential trifecta of melodic black metal, IMO.

Any other opinions on this album?

This stuff really needs to grow on me. I've really liked some Dissection and Dawn stuff, and kinda like this Sacramentum, but not enough to have any lasting interest in the bands. The only release I own by any of these bands is Dawn's Slaughtersun 2cd edition with all the old shit thrown in, which is a great way to check out the band. I haven't given it much time, but I can't say the Slaughtersun album is really my style.

Demilich said:
This stuff really needs to grow on me. I've really liked some Dissection and Dawn stuff, and kinda like this Sacramentum, but not enough to have any lasting interest in the bands. The only release I own by any of these bands is Dawn's Slaughtersun 2cd edition with all the old shit thrown in, which is a great way to check out the band. I haven't given it much time, but I can't say the Slaughtersun album is really my style.

:Smug:

I bought it a while back after hearing it praised by numerous people, but I was thoroughly disappointed after actually hearing it. Ok, I haven't given it that many listens but I can hardly listen to it at all, though I can't really say why. The lyrics were pathetic but it was more than just that. I obviously need to give some more spings it will probably be some weeks until I can muster the determination needed

I didn't really appreciate to its full extent until I pushed through and finally sat down, put my headphones on, and played the album 2 or 3 times. Dissection is basically immediate, FAFTS and Naer Solen Gar Niber are not.

I liked it for about a day, and then I couldn't stand it anymore. The same thing happened with both Dissection full lengths and 99.5% of all melodeath I've ever heard. I have no idea why that is, it's one of the great mysteries of mankind.

I bought this album a few months ago on a whim, likely partially because of high praise on Encyclopaedia Metallum, but surely mostly because of that badass castle cover artwork straight out of a Vincent Price Movie Classic. This morning I cracked open the cellophane (destroying its possible future collectibility thusly) and popped that disc into my moving laser-based music receptacle in my vehicle of driver's choice for ye olde daily commute.

The House of Usher.jpg

HOLY FUCK :kickass:

More proof that the best "new" music is livin' in the fuckin' past.

The debut EP is really good as well, and just got a reissue with a ton of bonus shitz

Ive never ventured beyond FAFTS, as I heard the two albums on Century Media werent as good.

But damn FAFTS had everyone hitting on all cylinders

Now if Dawn would release that album that was due twenty years ago.....