Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun

Nov 23, 2002
Eternal - 99%

Few years were better for black metal than 1996. Ildjarn and Falkenbach both arguably reached their creative peaks, and quality albums emerged from such bands as I Shalt Become, Blut Aus Nord, Avzhia and Nokturnal Mortum. Varg, too, nearly tapped into his best form with the mist-cloaked “Filosofem”. As if this wasn’t enough, Summoning’s “Dol Guldur” was also released, still hailed almost uniformly as a triumphant masterpiece ten years after its conception. If black metal was baking, ’96 would already have been a veritable feast. With that in mind, it’s very easy to believe that Sacramentum set out unscrupulously with the sole intention of spoiling us. A work of unflinching hope and beauty, “Far Away From The Sun” is the crowning cherry, the work before which all previously mentioned albums must simply kneel and admire.

Sacramentum’s debut full length is an ambiguous, dense piece, full of subtlety. Very little sticks out at first, and the few parts which do initially grab one’s attention end up being the least interesting and long-lasting (see parts of track 3). The perfect, glossy production allows everything to wash together effortlessly into a meditative ambience, a hypnotic dream, causing time to virtually cease existing during a focused listen. Indeed, the album is centred around fantastical journeys across mystical landscapes, out of time, out of consciousness, dreams and memories and ideals, paradoxically shown to be ways by which reality acquires it meaning. Sacramentum allow that which is usually beyond consciousness to infiltrate it; they bridge that great gap, and the result is truly inspiring. Their dreams resonate with passion and wonder, expanding the limits of the world and uncovering all of its majesty. One can’t help but fearlessly embrace all being when presented with such freedom of mind, such possibility.

Sacramentum express an almost childlike joyfulness, upliftingly light in the purest of senses, despite conjuring images of the sun’s absence or impending absence. Celestial harmonies surge and glide like shooting stars across the night sky, blending into one another as if colours in an especially beautiful sunset. Throaty growls float over the top like the moon’s reflection upon nightly seas. Such tranquil images are undeniable despite the frantic drumming, growls and soaring guitars – a twinkling light is shone upon everything that was once dark with such peaceful appreciation and delight that it’s impossible not to be swept away by the band’s vision.

Voicing themes of the eternal, and yet acutely aware of not only the future’s endless possibilities but the inspiration for the future provided by the past, Sacramentum play with time as if it were built around their rhythm. FAFTS is in fact at its most powerful when nostalgia and hope are merged into the present as one. The emotion becomes almost palpable in tracks 5 and 6 where this theme most clearly occurs; infectious and moving beyond words. “A voice from the past will follow me until the day I die.” Looking back to best move forward, light in darkness, dreams in reality, tranquillity in chaos, so many of life’s most profound paradoxes, all beautified with flowing ease. This is the underlying power of “Far Away From The Sun” – each and every complicated and troublesome aspect of the world is made so simple, and so beautiful, that all fear drifts away, all discomfort is forgotten, and all that remains is the tranquil contentment of having fully opened one’s mind to the wonder of life in all its guises.

"land of spiritual refreshment" is probably the funniest thing GoD's ever said.

You're definitely good with words but this review is full of bullshit. Second paragraph, you could replace 'Sacramentum' with 'Burzum' or any other band you like and you'd get away with that, because supposedly all of them are out of time and consciousness and provide endless possibilities in life and all that crap. The entire idea is to back that up. So you're not dealing with aesthetics because you're interested in the emotions that music evokes and what it tries to achieve, fair enough, but exactly how is it done? For example, a film such as Memento uses reverse chronology (an aesthetical element) to leave the viewer in a state of confusion which in turn reflects the protagonist's inability to make new memories and, more importantly, his general uncertainity about life and the nature of vengeance. Or, black metal bands usually have simple guitar work to highlight their longing to primitivism and the past.

To me, music reviews by you and your friends always seem to draw arbitary conclusions about works without explaining how you arrived at them - what is it about the actual sound that has a neo nazi subtext?

kmik said:
Second paragraph, you could replace 'Sacramentum' with 'Burzum' or any other band you like and you'd get away with that, because supposedly all of them are out of time and consciousness and provide endless possibilities in life and all that crap.

A quick look at my reviews at MA will show I've reviewed something like 25 albums and this is the first time I've mentioned the majority of those themes. As for Burzum, they share certain characteristics with Sacramentum for sure, and I love them for a number of similar reasons, but I still wouldn't write something especially similar to that paragraph if reviewing, say, Hvis....

The entire idea is to back that up.

I'm satisfied that I have done so adequately.

what is it about the actual sound that has a neo nazi subtext?

Ah, your motives for such scathing criticism now seem rather more clear. Still, maybe you should try asking that question to somebody who actually mentioned nazism in their Sacramentum review. :err:

:Smokin: No man, you say all these really (no sarcasm) wonderful things about the album but don't explain what does the actual sound have to do with them. Definitely the music expresses a certain mood or certain images, but what the fuck does it have to do with, I dunno, nostalgia and hope merged into the present as one? What is it about tracks 5 and 6 that make you think so, the connection between the idea and the aesthetic?

Regarding the neo nazi thing, well, that was a joke, you know :) , but I guess it's an umbrella term for... ANUS spirituality.

All that aside I really think you're a good writer. Do you read fantasy books? Cuz your writing style really reminds me of those.

kmik said:
No man, you say all these really (no sarcasm) wonderful things about the album but don't explain what does the actual sound have to do with them. Definitely the music expresses a certain mood or certain images, but what the fuck does it have to do with, I dunno, nostalgia and hope merged into the present as one? What is it about tracks 5 and 6 that make you think so, the connection between the idea and the aesthetic?

In that example, I'd say "hope" and "nostalgia" are as much moods as "themes" anyway, and them being merged into the present as one isn't anything especially profound when you think about it, it basically just implies that they co-exist in the music. Still, certain moods bring to mind certain themes, or certain simplistic/obvious themes imply more complicated themes (perhaps I should emphasise these links more often in my reviews as you say, but I felt they were usually at least implicit in this one - I guess you disagree), and such links are often solidified into something more easily interpretable by the lyrics, like in the example of 5 and 6.

As for describing how the moods are actually created, I'm pretty much useless because I don't have much knowledge of technical musical language, I couldn't say something like "at 2'11 of track 3 the diminished seventh chords over a syncopated rhythm blah blah conjure a feeling of reflection" or whatever without talking out of my ass.

All that aside I really think you're a good writer. Do you read fantasy books? Cuz your writing style really reminds me of those.

Cheers, and I do indeed (see sig)!

DONALDSON ERIKSON DONALDSON ERIKSON

ask me again in a year though i plan to go on like a huge fantasy binge then we'll sort the warlords from the poseurs

im not gay

Look. I think, at the most basic level, there are 3 ways to review (I'll use film again as an example because it's the simplest):
-Visually, Million Dollar Baby is a very dark film. There is simply very little light.
-Million Dollar Baby alerts us of the possibility of fall or destruction at any point, and of the complexity involved in making your dream come true.
-MDB has dark visuals even in seemingly 'happy' scenes, which shows the above.

See, your review is kind of like 2... I absolutely have no idea how you arrived at such concepts like nostalgia or consciousness from this music, and you don't explain that, either. Moods or emotions can be 'heared', yeah, but you're talking about very abstract, philosophical themes.

On a sidenote - that's why I think music, as an artform, is inferior. It is beautiful, of course, but it too abstract, too much in its on world, to have any meaningful message. When people discuss music they usually talk about the composition or the skill, not the implications of it as a work of art.

I tend to agree. You should think about starting a thread about this in the UM Philosophy forum, it would make an interesting discussion.

Good album by the way, but I think Dissection's Somberlain tops it slightly only due to its unnecessary repetition.

kmik said:
I absolutely have no idea how you arrived at such concepts like nostalgia or consciousness from this music, and you don't explain that, either.

The consciousness element is explained in my review at times unmistakably ("the perfect, glossy production...") and the lyrics ensure this theme is impossible to miss, whilst I consider nostalgia less of an abstract philosophical theme and more mood-based (though again, the lyrics back it up anyway and I do state as such).

Perhaps it could be argued that all of these themes have corresponding emotions or moods (this also might make an interesting thread).

On a sidenote - that's why I think music, as an artform, is inferior. It is beautiful, of course, but it too abstract, too much in its on world, to have any meaningful message. When people discuss music they usually talk about the composition or the skill, not the implications of it as a work of art.

I agree that you should make a thread about this.

I tend to find beauty in some songs, I find it more meaningful that way, I like lyrics that express personal feelings through "abstract" or "surreal" metaphors, I find it as a superior art form for to express what a movie does through audio and visual, when it is a achieved by music, it is superior for the lack of images but the images created in the mind by the music itself, at least this happens to me, the music/melody/composition evokes images, and I prefer when I feel the music goes along with the lyrics,