Sad music...

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM

untruly evil
Dec 19, 2002
Mexico
www.gardenian.8m.com
I'm looking for some non-metal sad music.

Clasical, irish, finish or even japanise sad music....

There are some song, for example Theater of Tragedy's ...a distance there is... wich is very sad and its from a metal band. Stuff like that.

Some examples could be: Sopor Aeternus, Autumn tears... Classical music such as Beethoven or Bach.

like i sayd before, it dosen't matter the style of music, as long as its SAD.. or dark or whatever.

...i've heard that finish traditional its pretty sad too... is it???

(Excuse my bad english)

Well, at least some of the material by (I'm not too familiar with it myself either) Piirpauke, a finnish folk-jazz-whatever band from the 70's is quite sad and good. At least all of the material I've heard has been instrumental though, if that is a problem.

Oh, and the intro on the latest Sentenced album was originally done by them. ("Konevitsan kirkonkellot" on The Cold White Light, that is)

Edit: I hadn't listened to this for awhile, but now that I do I must say that not all of this is all that sad, but it's still good.

yv said:
ehm.. really?

Yep

Edit. Whoops, wrong again :( The tune is actually trad, but they have made a version of it as well

And while I'm at it, I'll add another piece of useless trivia: the headman of Piirpauke, Sakari Kukko, plays the flute on Amorphis' "Rusty Moon" (from Tuonela)

Try TENHI, a finnish folk-band, somehow in the vein of the later EMPYRIUM (but much better IMHO). They release two albums: 'Kauan' and 'Väre', and an EP 'airut:ciwi'. The right music for autumn afternoons.

'cause you've mentioned we could recommend you classical music too...
the first piece of pure melancholy i was thinking of right now is Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead".. hmm, i somehow don't dare describe it, can't explain really what's expecting you o_O .. just check it out.

Yes Rachmaninoff is just gorgeous stuff. Isle of the Dead is indeed good, but you should also check out his Concerto Elegiacque, as it was written in memoriam of his mentor, Tchaikovsky. Speaking of which, Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony, the Pathetique, is probably the most depressing, self-loathing, melancholic orchestral piece that I have ever heard. It does have its positive moments, but ultimately ends in despair. His Serenade Melancolique for violin and string orchestra is also quite sad. And if you like choral works, I would most certainly suggest Bruckner's Mass No. 2 in E-Minor, particularly the Kyrie. If you don't cry to that, you simply do not have a soul.

and along these lines i also would like to mention Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no.2 in c minor (this one i like the most, though the piano concerto no.3 is quoted and served as an example in this case all the time, and ok, in fact it's about your personal opinion and the prefered pathetic), it has this deep simplicity and sickly touching melodies, resounding so long after you've heard the composition..

then for sure some Skriabin preludes, they have this strange diabolic and desperate feeling...

Try finish band Shamrain (www.shamrain.cjb.net) that's sad for sure... ;)

Also that finish band, Tenhi, someone mentioned, is quite good/sad. And what else, Sigur Rós, Arab Strab, and some other 'post rock bands' are very good and have a very sad atmosphere. And of course the king of sad music, The Cure!