Saffire Pro 40 strange phantom power issue

sawtooth

Jun 24, 2007
Kent, UK
Hey,

I noticed today that when I plug in any of my condensers they are turned on without me turning on the phantom power button. Also the level is the same whether I turn phantom on or off. I know that my mics can operate at P24 also, so it my Saffire outputing P24 by itself or is phantom power always on and should this be a problem? Cheers guys

Sounds like phantom power is stuck on. Is that controlled by the software also?

It can [potentially] damage mics to have phantom active while plugging the cables in. Ribbon mics have the most danger of damage this way.

Turn everything off and restart it.

Sounds like phantom power is stuck on. Is that controlled by the software also?

It can [potentially] damage mics to have phantom active while plugging the cables in. Ribbon mics have the most danger of damage this way.

Turn everything off and restart it.

I will try that. No it's controlled via a button on the unit. Don't have any ribbon mics at the moment at least lol Hope I haven't got to pay for it to be fixed and be deprived an audio interface!

Actually, my Pro 40 is like that too, has been from the start. Condenser mics work without switching phantom power on. It's strange.

I wonder if this happens on all Saffire Pro 40's. Can anyone verify?

I have a Rode NT1A, I don't think there's a battery inside it.

I'm going to contact Focusrite about this.

Yeah I use Rode NT1a, which of course has no battery. I tested it with other condensers and the same thing. Wonder if Focusrite can shed some light on this issue, as it appears to not just be an isolated case. Also I think my warranty is up now :-( I thought it might have something to do with a lower automatic phantom power as the NT1a can work with 24v.

Just for an update... I have been in contact with Focusrite and they have said yes it's definitely broken lol As I'm out of warranty the cost of repair is £40 p/h.