Samael

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I'm talking about the real Samael, not the fag electronica band. Anyone have the early albums like Worship Him and Blood Ritual?

I've only heard Passage and Ceremony of Opposites. Passage was OK, but didn't do much for me. I may like it more today, but I didn't like the elctronica stuf too much. Ceremony was pretty damn good, though.

Opinions?

Really? I was hoping the early ones were great pieces of second wave black metal, and not merely classics because they came first.

It's the VERY BEGINNING of the second wave. They're like "Deathcrush" and "Sumerian Cry", not anything like the atmospheric Norwegian style that came later.

this band deserves more than a couple of responses. has anyone heard Ceremony of Opposites? good god this is really great black metal. evil vocals.

love it or pose.

it seems samael has gone unnoticed in this forum other than a few. this is great old school stuff but really different from your standard norwegian black metal

Ceremony of Opposites and Passage are the shit! i think i had a few older tracks laying around somewhere but they werent all that amazing. Eternal is decent but in no way compares to the others, the newest one was crap. Rebellion was an EP or something right? i think i need to check it out.

J. said:
it seems samael has gone unnoticed in this forum other than a few. this is great old school stuff but really different from your standard norwegian black metal

I also think Passage is just OK (that's why I sold it), but Ceremony of Opposites is great. I wouldn't call it old school. That album would sound fresh today. It was quite forward-thinking for it's time.

I listened to Worship Him (twice) and Blood Ritual (once) last night. Samael fucking rules. See also: Holy Death, Xantotol, Anael

The number of "classics" that are impossible to obtain in physical form really pisses me off though.

Wow, bizarre! I wouldn't have guessed that there'd be a lack of Samael knowledge around here. Heck, they were on Century Media, so I thought at least everyone would know enough about them to know that they suck!

Well, no, really, they don't suck. Not even close! Though I lean towards the gay electronic side.

'Passage' is one of the defining albums of 90s metal. 'Ceremony of Opposites' is good, but a little boring compared to 'Passage'. Never really heard their earlier stuff because of that. The two EPs ('Rebellion' and 'Exodus') surrounding 'Passage' are excellent as well.

And for those who don't mind happy-dancing 'black metal', 'Eternal' and 'Reign of Light' continue the band's awesomeness. Can't wait for their new one.

Neil