Samael

Listen to Xantotol and Holy Death, two Polish Black Metal bands also inspired by Samael.

I've come to the concluson that the Rebellion EP is the best thing they did. Ceremony rules, though. I like everything up to and including Exodus.

Eternal was terrible.

so supposedly their new one is a "return to roots" affair. anyone heard it, since i know you all listen to shit before its released..? :loco:

I'm here, but I don't download. It would be cool if they do go back to the earlier stylings. And yeah, according to Youtube, they are playing some older stuff on this tour. It had me all hot and bothered about going to see them last week. But then I got poor.

so supposedly their new one is a "return to roots" affair. anyone heard it, since i know you all listen to shit before its released..? :loco:

It is, no electronics this time. It's pretty good, though i've only listened to it a couple of times. It's mid-paced black metal for the most part and even though it's a busy album, there are endless layers of melody hidden beneath all the sounds. Probably their most melodic release to date.

It's certainly no "back to the roots" but it's certainly way more brutal than anything they've released yet. If you ask me I'll tell you that the added brutality sounds a bit artificial/over-the-top. Still an enjoyable listen, which is more than I'd expected from those guys since Passage days

I'm pissed because for some reason I don't have Ceremony on my itunes cuz I wanted to hear that song that samples the Baba Yaga part of "Pictures At An Exhibition."

I saw these guys live last year.. decent set, including a couple of older tunes.

I must say though, even the older stuff they played just didn't seem all that great. Specifically "Into the Pentagram" ... what a fucking dumb song

I actually really like the new Samael and yes it is more of a return but there are still light sprinklings of keyboards through out. Problem alot of my friends of had with it is the blasting all the way through and the drums are to high in the mix.....I love it though. Black Hole is the shit. But I like the old black metal stuff and the electronic.

Into the Pentagram came off a little boring live but if you did not see them on this last carcass tour you missed a great fucking show.

I know next to nothing about Samael and I'm listening to the new album "Above" at the moment. I can't help thinking that that there are some potentially even greater songs hidden beneath the unrelenting mechanical sounding drums. Ace melodies rear their heads now and then. It sounds like any my favourite early 90s melodic black metal records crossed with a drummachine wrapped in a much too modern production.