Sampling midi drum tracks

Joel4662

Jul 23, 2010
So for some reason when I try to use Reaper to sample drums, I have constant latency issues, no matter which plugin, interface, latency settings, midi settings and everything I use, pretty much every 6-8 notes on each track drag by a like 20ms.

Also it's not my CPU cause the load is only about 30%

So my question is, should I ditch reaper for sampling drums, and if so, what (preferably cheap) DAW would you guys recommend?
Or am I overlooking a simple solution..?

I would say there has to be a simpler solution. There's probably a hundred guys on here who use Reaper with sampled drums... It's a great program. Hopefully one of the Reaper guys can come in and help you with the problem, but I'd think changing DAW's would be a messy and expensive option instead of optimizing your computer and Reaper setting to provide the right results...

Have you tried different audio drivers? It depends, of course, on the audio card you use.

Well I've tried through two interfaces
Line 6 ux2 and a Tuscam m-164-UF
And my stock sound card
And I've done alot of latency settings on each one
Same result each time
Render settings seem to make a little bit of a difference, and if I render in real-time it makes a small difference

what do you mean "sampling midi drums"?

Are you sending MIDI out of Reaper into a midi device and bringing the audio in?

If that's the case there is a recording timing offset in the preferences.

If its all internal, perhaps your CPU clock speed is not steady. Turn off all 'cool & quiet', speed step etc in the bios. Seen it happen in Pro Tools on my AMD system a few years ago.

Aah I'll check into that (clock speed)
Then way I do it is just running a vsti.. I have a few

Aha!
Pref > buffering > anticipative fx processing (turned it off)
Problem solved
Anyone know what this could have to do with my problem?