SANCTUARY Completes Work On 'The Year The Sun Died'...

:lol: Matt and I were discussing the other day how we thought the cover was terrible. Looks like a stock piece just quickly selected so to get the cover out of the way, or so I think. Seems to fit right alongside those fashionable Scar Symmetry type covers, those are still chic right?
So the cover only adds to my idea that this will be more "modern" sounding than closer to a Sanctuary type sound. That being said though where can the sound actually go now in 2014, it is not going to come out sounding like Sanctuary. The only hopes of it anything like Sanctuary at this point is Dane hitting some highs. going by this song that is out it is as most figured, another Nevermore album. The best we can hope for is closer to the first Nevermore than the later when they are started to sound the same.

:lol: Matt and I were discussing the other day how we thought the cover was terrible. Looks like a stock piece just quickly selected so to get the cover out of the way, or so I think. Seems to fit right alongside those fashionable Scar Symmetry type covers, those are still chic right?
So the cover only adds to my idea that this will be more "modern" sounding than closer to a Sanctuary type sound. That being said though where can the sound actually go now in 2014, it is not going to come out sounding like Sanctuary. The only hopes of it anything like Sanctuary at this point is Dane hitting some highs. going by this song that is out it is as most figured, another Nevermore album. The best we can hope for is closer to the first Nevermore than the later when they are started to sound the same.

Cover looks like your standard Travis Smith artwork that we've seen for like 15 years now, not sure what you mean. Also the song sounds like Nevermore circa Dead Heart in a Dead World/Dreaming Neon Black minus that extra crunch Loomis always brought to the table, but a much better song than anything we've heard on the last Nevermore album.

As figured, it doesn't sound like old Sanctuary, but I don't think it necessarily sounds like Nevermore either. Musically it is different, but I do dig it.

Layout of the art is weak. From a design stand point if going into it KNOWING they are using the original Sanctuary logo it should have been designed to fit accordingly. The fact that the sword is still in the logo already causes the logo text to be smaller just in respect to balance of the art with it centered. The art was created WITHOUT a care of where the logo would go. it was an after thought. with this artwork is was not (they got artsy with the second album and it look terrible on that cover too).

Sorry to be snobby, but as we all know it's me.

however, the song is pretty good and I will admit that.

28kh2t0v.j31

Cover looks like your standard Travis Smith artwork that we've seen for like 15 years now, not sure what you mean. Also the song sounds like Nevermore circa Dead Heart in a Dead World/Dreaming Neon Black minus that extra crunch Loomis always brought to the table, but a much better song than anything we've heard on the last Nevermore album.

I totally agree on the song. It is not terrible but just doesn't hit the same as those Sanctuary albums, but honestly how could it all these years later.
And yes the cover is a standard Travis Smith, I like some of his work myself, hell I even had him do a piece that I think is one of his best works ever - not that I'm bias. But it is a typical piece too, just looks like it was a quick decision made like picking a tattoo design off of the parlor wall. Seems a more classic look would have been more appealing, and in this case it might have even helped in the marketing to give of that more classic vibe in the cover art. I believe it would have possibly made up for the word "modern" being used describing the new album that has made several older fans like myself cringe.
And I do agree with what Matt said about it. It just seems rushed.

The cover is pretty generic - any of a dozen bands could have used it. The song sounds like a good Nevermore track, which I suppose I can't complain about. I'm still in "wait and see" mode with respect to the full album.

The problem with trying to make a new Sanctuary album is that each of the original albums has its own unique sound. If the new album sounds like either Refuge or Mirror then it won't be an authentic Sanctuary album, but a forced attempt to recreate the past. Basically, they created such a high bar for themselves that I had little hope for this reunion album, and the preview song is not doing anything to change that opinion.

Great song. Nice to see they didn't get stuck in time like some guys in this thread (and forum) are.

Looking forward to the new album.

PS. Sanctuary comes out with a new album after decades, and the first thing you do is bitch about the cover? For fuck's sake...

Great song. Nice to see they didn't get stuck in time like some guys in this thread (and forum) are.

PS. Sanctuary comes out with a new album after decades, and the first thing you do is bitch about the cover? For fuck's sake...

No, they did get stuck in time, somewhere in the mid- to late 90s, that is why it sounds like Nevermore.

Of course I am stuck in the past. Kind of happens when a band doesn't release any new material since 1989. That is sort of where the point of reference begins when comparing it to their catalog of previous material.

And yes, I have an issue with the cover simply from design stand point. My job of 15 years makes me look at these things (as I have made plenty of mistakes in the past). Artwork itself is fine and very standard Travis Smith.