Sanctuary/Refuge Denied:part of REVOLVER'S top 20 "thrash albums".

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been posted, but the newest edition (May 2007) of REVOLVER magazine list's Sanctuary's/Refuge Denied as one of the top 20 essential "Eighties American Thrash" albums. Here is what it says (I'm too lazy to look for a link so I'll just type.)

Sanctuary/Refuge Denied (Epic, 1987). Pehaps best known as the pre-Nevermore band of singer Warrel Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard, Seattleites Sanctuary deserve attention in their own right, mostly from their fist-pumping debut album, which was produced by none other than Dave Mustaine and displays jaw-droppingly high-pitched, layered vocals that Dane has yet to match.

Hmmm. Interesting. I never considered Sanctuary a "thrash" band. Other than being KICK ASS, I would consider Sanctuary & Nevermore more "progressive" than "thrash". Oh well, my 2 cents. All comments welcomed.

Zane

it's alright. but not really a top 20 contender in any category.

(ignoring bands in the letter S or their own discography or other things you think are clever)

Its Power Metal. Don't even try to add the speed/thrash thing in.

Early Blind Guardian is Power/Speed/Thrash... Sanctuary is NOT.

Its like everyone is trying to forget the fact that 80's power metal existed. So they throw "Speed/Thrash" on it all. Whats next, Fates Warning was Prog/Power/Speed/Thrash?

Its Power Metal. Don't even try to add the speed/thrash thing in.

Early Blind Guardian is Power/Speed/Thrash... Sanctuary is NOT.
I think Sanctuary is as close to thrash as early BG.

I mostly consider both as speed/power metal, but there are thrash influences.

Fates Warning's earlier stuff was definitely not prog. A lot of Awaken The Guardian was speed metal influenced. So were bands like Omen, Agent Steel and Helstar's Nosferatu.
I don't think every power metal band was speed or thrash as well. I would never call Savatage speed or thrash.

Awaken the Guardian is very progressive. It's progressive power metal. Omen, Agent Steel and Helstar are(were) much more in the speed metal catagorey. Again though, this is nitpicking with GODDAMN GENRE classifications.

Yeah, it's getting ridiculous. The fact is that the limits of every subgenre are subjective. There's really no use arguing how much prog/power/speed/thrash everything is, because chances are the musicians are influenced by all of it. Plus, it doesn't matter how you categorize Refuge Denied, it just rocks and at least its getting some much-deserved attention.

like omg. it's crazy watching you loons dancing and splitting between power thrash and speed.

stick to a predominant era you goddamn twats: it's called american power metal. had a slow rage starting with metal church.

blind guardian's first two were power. kind of like american, but heavily influenced by germany. still POWER. they covered demon and satan for THIS REASON. upgrading NWOBHM is basically power metal.

know some history before you slaughter a thread with these lame debates.

if you knew the history you would have provided actual insight and not presented what you had as though it were an opinion