circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Sapthuran/Leviathan – Split
Battle Kommand Records – BKR008 – February 13th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

sapthuranleviathan.jpg

See the major problem with splits is as follows: if one band isn’t worth listening to, then it drags down the value of the release as a whole. This is a prime example, and I’ll bet you can guess which band comes up short in the end. Need a clue? It sure as hell ain’t Leviathan.

As far as Sapthuran are concerned, it’s the classic case of one man, um, manning every instrument, and that man is Patrick Hall (Immolatus). I’m inclined to believe that the three songs he’s supplied aren’t products of “bedroom black metal,” but there are quite a few weak spots. There are so many, in fact, I find it hard to believe that Hall’s birthed two full-lengths – …In Hatred and To the Edge of Land – under this moniker. Simply put, Sapthuran aren’t too interesting. Worse yet, the drumming is noticeably sloppy while the folk injections are poorly played. Check out the 4:35 minute mark of “As a Tale Told by the Leaves and Whispered by the Wind” (ugh) for an example of the latter, though the drumming miscues saturate Hall’s entire half of the split. It does get better during the respite that is “And Autumn Sheds Its Final Tear,” however, as the wind-filled background complements the energetic acoustic arrangement nicely. Then it’s back into the muddy, slip-inducing trenches during Sapthuran’s rendition of “The Wanderer: Blood in the Forest.” While Kentucky (my birth state) most assuredly isn’t known for its black metal, it’s not as if Hall can’t redeem himself in the future. But for now, he may have shot himself in the foot by collaborating with one of the best USBM outfits in recent history; in short, even as an upstart, his missteps are made all the more conspicuous when held up against the mighty Leviathan.

At 45 minutes total, Wrest (Twilight, Lurker of Chalice) strangles his way through the last five tracks, presenting applause-worthy material as usual. After the requisite desolate intro, “Odious Convulsions (They Are Not Worthy of His Name)” obliterates the stillness with its frenzied, tense assault. The background subtleties – unnerving alarums blaring every so often, bass lines rumbling steadily, and drum beats emanating experience – bolster the main riffs and burly growls. Like other Leviathan material, “The Fourth Blind Wound” wastes no time ripping out the heart of the matter, lunging out of the starting gate full speed ahead with blinders donned and everything. Still, it’s not riveting until it halts the pace and then readjusts its trot at the 4:15 minute mark, which features instrumentation to die on a cross for. The overriding grooves of “Crushing the Prolapsed Oviducts of Virtue” are lethal as well. Another notable attribute of Leviathan is none other than Wrest’s talent for lacing his songs with suicidal, melancholic feelings – further amplified by the creepiness he strews throughout his offerings.

Lamentably, Sapthuran’s presence diminishes Leviathan’s showing here, because about 20 minutes of this Split is amateurish and unpolished. As always, though, Wrest edges closer to the “best in show” USBM award with every subsequent release, and diehard fanatics should purchase this despite the setbacks. The score, of course, reflects the entire ride.

6/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Battle Kommand Records Website

Rodrigo said:
How does Leviathan's material compare to the material on the Xasthur split?

For the most part, though similarities are in place, the material on the Xasthur split is quite different from this. On Xasthur, the songs are slower and perhaps more depressing than the ones on Sapthuran, with menacing shrieks thrown in for good measure. On Sapthuran, conversely, Wrest pulls out a few instrumental tricks, the songs are mostly fast-paced, and his growls are deep and upfront. If I had to choose, then I'd pick the Leviathan material on the split with Sapthuran. However, both are extremely good, but in different ways.

o_O

circus_brimstone said:
For the most part, though similarities are in place, the material on the Xasthur split is quite different from this. On Xasthur, the songs are slower and perhaps more depressing than the ones on Sapthuran, with menacing shrieks thrown in for good measure. On Sapthuran, conversely, Wrest pulls out a few instrumental tricks, the songs are mostly fast-paced, and his growls are deep and upfront. If I had to choose, then I'd pick the Leviathan material on the split with Sapthuran. However, both are extremely good, but in different ways.

o_O

Thanks! Sounds like I have to get this release just for the Leviathan material.

That's too bad what you say about Sapthuran. His debut In Hatred... was pretty damned good. Perhaps not surprising what you say about the drumming though...apparently he had to teach himself to play drums in only the past few years when he couldn't find someone to do so. There's no denying the quality of his riffs though.