Satriani sues Coldplay

Thats a pretty simple melody in the Satch/Coldplay case. Seems to be a very unfortunate coincidence for Coldplay. It's a shame they've probably already made assloads more money off that melody than Satriani figuratively speaking, but I highly doubt they heard the Satch song and purposely borrowed it. Still, I can see Satriani's motives for the lawsuit.

It's funny how after hearing the main kick pattern on Meshuggah's "Bleed", I'm hearing it in different places as well, like the new Gojira album and the latest Textures album. I even wrote a song a few years back with an almost identical pattern, albeit minus a kick hit and with way less repetitions. Simple things are easily "shared" by coincidence.

Even if Satriani DOESNT win the lawsuit, think of the publicity he gets for taking on one of the biggest mainstream bands in the world...... its win win for him. And this suing crap has got to stop, we live in a musical society today where its tough to be original because its ALL been done basically....

Even if Satriani DOESNT win the lawsuit, think of the publicity he gets for taking on one of the biggest mainstream bands in the world...... its win win for him. And this suing crap has got to stop, we live in a musical society today where its tough to be original because its ALL been done basically....

How much will it cost him though?

Seems like a common chord progression in the same key to me... The vocals aren't following the guitar melody all to closely. Does sound kinda cool together, he shoulda tried teaming up with them instead of suing them. Then again, what do I know.

I know I'm not being objective right here, but... well... I hate Coldplay. I'm not a fan of Satriani, but I hope he wins the lawsuit.

Seems like a common chord progression in the same key to me... The vocals aren't following the guitar melody all to closely. Does sound kinda cool together, he shoulda tried teaming up with them instead of suing them. Then again, what do I know.

But it isn't weird that both songs go in the same key and the exact same BPM?

That link i sent to Gary Moore is a bit less likely to be a rip of though, even if the songs sounds the same.

Well in copyright cases like this you have to prove significance and appropriation. They'll probably have a musicologist come in to compare the two songs. This will be interesting.

Well in copyright cases like this you have to prove significance and appropriation. They'll probably have a musicologist come in to compare the two songs. This will be interesting.

Yeah.. i'll be the musicologist then.

"Hey SATCH, it's the same melody, big deal, you had your success.. so":

StopWhining.jpg

Case closed.

"Oh, and coldplay?"

StopWhining.jpg

After listening to the songs the their entirety, its hard to say what the holding will be. Although some things in music aren't copyrightable like rhythm. So he basically only has the melody on his side but there are subtle differences.