Savage Circus?

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
Maybe someone can help me here, but didn't Thomas Stauchen leave Blind Guardian to pursue a different musical direction? I just heard 2 tracks from his new band Savage Circus, and they sound more like Blind Guardian than Blind Guardian does! I was actually shocked when I was listening as I really thought it was Blind Guardian. Am I missing something here?

nightwish58 said:
Maybe someone can help me here, but didn't Thomas Stauchen leave Blind Guardian to pursue a different musical direction? I just heard 2 tracks from his new band Savage Circus, and they sound more like Blind Guardian than Blind Guardian does! I was actually shocked when I was listening as I really thought it was Blind Guardian. Am I missing something here?

He wasn't happy with the overly symphonic sound they were headed for.... I think. Have you heard Night at the Opera?

Yeah... He thought Blind Guardian was becoming too fancy, with the whole symphonic stuff and sometimes crossing the border of progressive...

Anyway, I wish him the best of luck, I really dig Savage Circus and I think we're all in for an awesome treat!

Haha that quote about savage circus sounding more like blind guardian than blind guardian does is actually dead on.

Apparently Thomen loved the old Blind Guardian sound, and not the new direction they had been heading, so it makes sense.

Apparently Thomen loved the old Blind Guardian sound, and not the new direction they had been heading, so it makes sense.

That's all good for me, I feel the same way. BG has been going downhill since after Tales from the Twilight World, IMO. I like the Savage Circus stuff quite a bit.

That makes sense as Night at the Opera is definitely much more symphonic than the earlier material. All I can say is that the tracks I heard sounded like vintage BG, and that is fine with me.

I didn't really get attached to A Night at the Opera cuz the production is just too extreme. Too much to hear, too much to listen to, too much too much.

But those songs being played live on the double live album and the DVD sounded GREAT once they were 'dumbed down' a bit. Cuz you could pay attention to all the parts.

Oh well. I guess we can't win them all.

I must say having just listened to Savage Circus, there is a lot of BG influence there, butttttttttt, there is also the unmistakeable influence of none other than PIET SIELCK of Iron Saviour, all that is missing is Kai Hansen. IMHO PIET is the apex of modern guitarist, his styl is unmistakable as is his voice. So to me this albumn is a definte to be added to my collection as soon as i find someone who is carrying it. Also if you haven't seen PIET in concert you don't know what your missing. So much energy, so awesome. I saw him at the Texas Club in Pyras Greece with Iron Saviour, and they were unbelievable. My opinion this will be a top 10 for 2005.

The album is awesome, and you should all get it. It's like a throwback to early BG with Iron Saviour and a bit of Persuader influence. The best of both worlds for me, since I love old and new Blind Guardian, and Savage Circus is picking up where Imaginations from the Other Side left off.

P.S. Come to the listening party for neat Savage Circus goodies, including music. It'll be a blast!

I am totally down with Savage Circus, they fucking kick ass!! I honestly like the direction BG is going. I would say that I enjoy Opera more than any other album except Imaginations and it is even with Nightfall

Yeah, ANATO was a let down. One - the sound sucked. I mean, compare it to any album and it just sounds muffled and crappy production wise.

Then there was just too much going on, but not in a good way like NiME. With NiME, it always seemed like something was going on musically - but you could focus on it and enjoy it. ANATO tried too hard at that and failed. Some gems on that album, but I rarely listen to it.

Nightmare1z said:
Yeah, ANATO was a let down. One - the sound sucked. I mean, compare it to any album and it just sounds muffled and crappy production wise.

Then there was just too much going on, but not in a good way like NiME. With NiME, it always seemed like something was going on musically - but you could focus on it and enjoy it. ANATO tried too hard at that and failed. Some gems on that album, but I rarely listen to it.

well...i still liked it

eppst1 said:
Nightwish, Thomen is also doing a project with Speed from Soilwork that has "korn" influences. Maybe that is what you are thinking about.

I think by "korn influences" you mean that it will be more nu-metallish than other stuff he's done, which is true. There are a few tracks that are faster than anything he'd ever done with Blind Guardian as well. Should be a pretty interesting album.