Savatage Petition

The Ghost in the Machine Live tribute to Cris Oliva fucking rocked! I only wish...

I used to sit up late Friday and Saturday nights watching Headbanger'sBall waiting for them to play Hall of the Mountain King. That album slayed!

ABQShredHead said:
The Ghost in the Machine Live tribute to Cris Oliva fucking rocked! I only wish...

waiting for them to play Hall of the Mountain King. That album slayed!

I think you are confusing a Bruce Dickinson or Iron Maiden song with the Criss Oliva live tribute: Ghost In The Ruins.

If you liked GITR you should check out the semi official live bootleg Live Devastation as well.

And yes Mountain King slays! I almost died when they performed 24 Hours Ago when Savatage opened for Judas Priest.

It's odd how Chris Caffery wants this to happen so damn bad but he never really goes into the details of why it doesn't work out. My guess is Paul O'Neil is a huge part - I mean he's known for spending forever releasing a CD and redoing parts over and over getting that sound (which has no raw left in it IMO). Paul O'Neil most likely wants to be the man behind the lyrics again for this and thus until everyone's schedule aligns its not going to happen.

If this is true, its sad that one person thinks he's so important that it can screw over all the fans.

:(

And my thoughts on TSO: Their last CD was completely predictable. I think we've heard every possible idea from Paul. No more of that consistent "dun dun dun dun dun" beat they overkilled, no more of these piano intro - guitar's fade in...power chord heaven - solo - power chords - piano - END songs.

Their first Xmas CD was gold, as was BLN. The 2nd Xmas CD was good, but not as solid. The third, for how long it took, felt like they were just trying to meet the labels contract. Christmas Canon Rock is the best song on there, and its a cover of their own song and not even theirs to begin with.

I honestly hope Nightcastle does not follow the same formula, because the reason its only worked before is mostly cause of using tradiational melodies. Here, we're having a CD that's mostly all new music (with hopefully no base on a holiday or composer).

Nightmare1z said:
And my thoughts on TSO: Their last CD was completely predictable. I think we've heard every possible idea from Paul. No more of that consistent "dun dun dun dun dun" beat they overkilled, no more of these piano intro - guitar's fade in...power chord heaven - solo - power chords - piano - END songs.

Their first Xmas CD was gold, as was BLN. The 2nd Xmas CD was good, but not as solid. The third, for how long it took, felt like they were just trying to meet the labels contract. Christmas Canon Rock is the best song on there, and its a cover of their own song and not even theirs to begin with.

I honestly hope Nightcastle does not follow the same formula, because the reason its only worked before is mostly cause of using tradiational melodies. Here, we're having a CD that's mostly all new music (with hopefully no base on a holiday or composer).

EXACTLY.

Their formula has become waaaaay too predictable. I'd like to hear them do something like Symphony X has done with certain parts of classical pieces - writing an original song around it and weaving the classical part in appropriately. Just something different from that overdone formula. Their song "Wish Liszt" was really cool though! I enjoy listening to it throughout the year and playing it on guitar. It's a great workout for the chops, especially trying to play it faster.

Hey man, if they want to put out another one, they do. If not, I am not disappointed. They have an awesome discography that I continue to and will continue to enjoy.

Yeah, but there will come a day when they physically won't be able too anymore. That's what makes me sad. So much potential and fans supporting them and they're stuck doing their solo projects (Caffery mainly doing his cause there is no Savatage). Have never like JOP as much, while Caffery's slays. However, Caffery's is a lot different than Savatage sound.

It's really about the potential IMO. Plus, even if they just TOURED I'd be happier. But they don't even do that. Seeing 'Savatage' at ProgPower was simply incredible. The songs are just 100x better live.

Some of the band members I had a chance to chat to when they toured said that it was possible to have Savatage records out parallel to their side projects but somehow it's not happening for reasons they themselves don't know...or don't want to share.

forgottenglory said:
I think you are confusing a Bruce Dickinson or Iron Maiden song with the Criss Oliva live tribute: Ghost In The Ruins.

Yeah, you busted me in hurried thoughts before getting off to a meeting. I'm not sure which Ghost in the Machine was stuck in my head though.

All the same, Savatage, though one of my absolute favorites, hasn't been the same without Cris & Jon as the drivers.

forgottenglory said:
Some of the band members I had a chance to chat to when they toured said that it was possible to have Savatage records out parallel to their side projects but somehow it's not happening for reasons they themselves don't know...or don't want to share.
Sad thing, a new Savatage album (or something featurinf Jon Oliva not chrismas themed) would be really cool