Saviour Review

sol83

Jun 15, 2002
Greece
This is a review taken from the Greek Metal Hammer (which is a very good metal mag, nothing like the British one). It's an EXACT translation (and not things I made up myself). So, here it is:

Duncan Patterson has left Anathema years now. The last thing he recorded with them was the insuperable "Alternative 4". I should remind you that Patterson was not just the bassist of the band, he wrote music and lyrics for Anathema in an exceptional way. For example, more than half the songs from "Alternative 4" have his signature. His exit was a great loss for the Liverpool band. Why am I talking about Patterson? Because Antimatter is a project that was created by Duncan's collaboration with another talented musician, Michael Moss. Both of them seem to have decided to follow their desires, without caring where this will lead them, musically speaking. Personaly, all I can do is respect their choice, the result of which was "Saviour", a "difficult" listening that will not appeal to all Anathema fans that easilly. But it's better this way. An album created with "the good old recipe" would offend Patterson's composing skills, and he smartly avoided that. On the contrary, he and Moss bring out their deeper self. The result of this procedure is the lamenting atmosphere that dominates the album, the acoustic melodies where somewhere in their subconscious lives the ghost of Tim Buckley or Syd Barret, the trip-hop obsessions that pay respect to the temple of Portishead, the dub pursuits, the orchestral mood, the fragile female vocals and the electro-gothic feeling that does not care about cheap impressions but for the real essence of music. What did I learn from the "Saviour" album? The following: Patterson has much to offer to those who trust him and Antimatter is a non-commercial project that however produces great music.

8 out of 10.

That's it. I think I did a good job with the translation, though at times it was not easy at all. Hope that now the lads will consider playing a few gigs down here soon! :)

:D :D good one!at last.metal hammer wrote something good.they had to rate the album better,but anyway...
those lads in metal hammer were always favourable towards the anathema stuff:cool:
ok lets hope to see the lads in greece(too:p )

cheers

Originally posted by somnium_in_tenebris
god is coming is the best track of the album imho.it just shoots you dead,right on!

HO yep!! I'd like to hear it live (not acoustic) SOO MUUUCH!!
This song makes me shiver of pleasure!! It's a 100% goose bumps giving song :D

Burn

Originally posted by sol83
I'd go with Going Nowhere. It has this the-end-is-coming feeling and I love it...

Steal my Flowers aaaaaah

so silent but catchy
shiverssssssssssss

Heres a nice one -

www.maelstrom.nu

ANTIMATTER - Saviour - CD - The End Records
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to top Antimatter is the band of Duncan Patterson, who used to be a member of Anathema. Saviour is being promoted as being a "more haunting Anathema," but the weight of the material is too light and poppy for that comparison.

For the truest comparison, one must think of likening Antimatter to Portishead, for several tracks on Saviour go for that same lounge/dub sound that Portishead made famous. However, Unlike Tertium Non Data, whose Hers Is Blood album actually outdid the originators at their own formula, Antimatter is a watered-down version of Portishead.

Antimatter mainly employs two women to do the vocals. The first, Michelle Richfield (Sear), is a competent singer whose voice is an asset to the six songs on which she appears. The other vocalist, Hayley Windsor (Drug Free America), also has talent but sometimes sounds like a little girl. This immaturity of her voice detracts from the four songs on which she appears. On a couple of occasions, Michael Moss, the co-founder of the band, provides some vocals, which, for lack of a better word, are cheesy. There's just something about the dual vocals of Moss and whichever woman he's singing with that makes me think of Seal, but not as good, or even Michael Bolton. To try to put a finger on it, some of the songs ("Over Your Shoulder" comes to mind) have a sort of forced soulfulness to them that ends up not being present. Curiously, the simpler, acoustic version of "Over Your Shoulder" at the end of the disk works somehow better.

I'm afraid Saviour may be doomed from the start. Considering that the album has been released on a metal label and will probably be almost exclusively promoted in metal circles, I can't see many people buying it. It's not a bad record, but it is lightweight - not necessarily in terms of being metal but in terms of what it has to offer. It makes sense that metal fans could like soft, melodic, melancholic bands like The Gathering or Amber Asylum (or even Anathema), but metallers will definitely not go for Antimatter, even if they are fans of Anathema's (like me.) - Roberto

2 things

i never posted this review, someone did it on a pc i was logged into...
and the reviewer is stupid and wrong in his assessment. i'd like to hear his songs...:lol:

yeah they say that Hayley is the male vocalist, hehe and that Danny is ex- anathema vocalist, lol.

Though it is a very positive review, haha

"When was the last time you heard a CD, when you could unconditionally let everything go and really dive in musically created worlds of feelings, that turns over your soul and simultaneously gets you in a familiar warmth of security, so that you light-footedly float away on the music, as if it was the most normal thing in the world?

Doesn't exist? 30 years ago with THE DOORS? The first time sex? The first time stoned on the motorway? The first albums of THE GATHERING, perhaps? All myth or snow from yesterday, you say. Nowadays something like that doesn't exist anymore!
So let me tell you differently and listen to Antimatter's first work.

Also this work is not focused on making itself known by special effects but winds oneself with a sympathetic honesty and modesty and consequence in melody and rhythm inevitably directly into the heart of the listener. Meanwhile I became addicted to songs like "Over Your Shoulder", "Psalms", "God Is Coming" or "Going Nowhere" !

The fact that such an extraordinary album does not fall straight from the sky is probably clear. An explanation is that the force behind Antimatter is the former ANATHEMA Bassist and Songwriter Duncan Patterson.
The seducing female voice belongs to Michelle Richfield, her male singing partner is Hayley Windsor. And on the acoustic version of "Over Your Shoulder" ex-(or not) ANATHEMA singer Danny Cavanagh gets behind the microphone. (- I AM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR THESE THINGS,LL)

So "Saviour" reminded also sometimes much of old ANATHEMA times ("Eternity ", alternative 4"...). Nevertheless with one well-considered mixture of strong melancholy riffs, excellent, varied singing and acoustic instruments,
paired with modern cinematic electronics and moving grooves Antimatter succeeded in producing an outstanding debut that leaves much of what lately has been thrown on the market as soulless pop music.

Finally an album with strong emotions! I must listen to it again immediately! "

I finally got around to translating. Hope there aren't too many mistakes in it!

Originally posted by pagan2002
Heres a nice one -

www.maelstrom.nu

ANTIMATTER - Saviour - CD - The End Records
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a couple of occasions, Michael Moss, the co-founder of the band, provides some vocals, which, for lack of a better word, are cheesy.

ehehe, you know, you should have heard him singing at the gigs dear Roberto... :dopey:

Cheesy :puke: