Saw Gojira tonight

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I saw Gojira in San Francisco tonight. Awesome. Not old-school, it's true, but I'm old-school, so it counts. Anyway, they are a favorite new-er band of mine, and they put on a killer show. The crowd was insane, and they have a bit of a building following, so it was kind of like seeing one of the old-school thrash bands in their heyday. Soooo much energy. Killer setlist. Great show. And exactly 7 days after Opeth/Enslaved. It's been a good week. Now I've got nothing on deck until Heaven and Hell in August, and Ian Anderson in November, yikes.

I would have loved to be there! I have not seen them live yet. Great to hear they were that good and that you had a good time. :)

What were the support act's?

The supporting acts were two bands I've never heard of, and whom I didn't even attempt to see. A friend and I spent the earlier part of the evening at Tommy's Joynt, a very cool, antiquated bar where Metallica used to hang out in the Ride the Lightning days. It's kind of a metal tradition, and it's not far from the venue. We walked in right before Gojira started:

Tommy's Joynt
n657290170_6934574_2370356.jpg

I saw Gojira one other time, opening for In Flames (who I don't really care for), and both times they were absolutely excellent. You can tell they LOVE doing what they do.

My friend took a couple pictures from the show, I'll post them later.

I saw them on their last tour and they were great. I saw they were in Portland before S.F. but they were playing at a real shit hole and they were only band that I cared for on the bill... Maybe next go round. Glad you enoyed them. Are they doing a 50/50 split in their set?

Gotcha. Actually, I'd say they did a bit more from the new one. Second most from the last one - and one or two each from the previous (but not too well known) two albums. The highlight was The Art of Dying, the epic from the latest. Of course they did From the Sky and other, 'hits,' from From Mars to Sirus.

Yeah their set lists have been crazy. I couldn't get there this time because it was right in between Opeth and Queensryche. :( I will see them eventually. Great band.

yep it was an amazing, high energy show! and missing them for opeth and queensryche is crazy! thats like going to a wax museum instead of a UFC fight! :loco:

yep it was an amazing, high energy show! and missing them for opeth and queensryche is crazy! thats like going to a wax museum instead of a UFC fight! :loco:

Well, I also had no one to go with me, and had no interest in driving into Manhattan by myself to sit through crappy opening bands on a Wednesday night. I only got into them about a year ago...like I said, eventually. :err:

I saw their show here in Vancouver. They played an impressive set with an intense amount of stage presence and energy. They are a band that loves playing live and you can tell. I just recently got into them so I wasn't too familiar with the setlist, but the music was fucking great.

Interesting that the vocalist is still wearing The Beatles shirt in those pics. Man, that shirt must reek!