Saw Tesseract last night (and Animals As Leaders)

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Great show, Elliot does a fine job of doing the vocals. Met Amos and James, nice fellows. I stood next to the board during the show, I believe I saw alot of Waves eq plugs being used haha. Animals As Leaders was cool too, but as technical as they are I couldn't much get into it. The drummer doesn't seem to hit very hard even though he's a great drummer. Didnt even stay for BTBAM, not my thing.

Elliott's vocals weren't very good when I caught this show. His screaming is really weak... Their bassist sounded much more aggressive the few times he did backup vocals. The actual singing was just so-so... I didn't hate it, but it didn't do much for me either. I just don't think his effeminate sound & the whole hipster vibe fit the band all that well.

Musically, Tesseract was pretty good, but overall AAL and BTBAM were much better.

:lol: Well it was my birthday yesterday and I had somewhere else to be (drinking), probably would have stayed for the whole show if not for that. Really just went for Tesseract anyway, but had to stay long enough to see Tosin play.

Great show, Elliot does a fine job of doing the vocals. Met Amos and James, nice fellows. I stood next to the board during the show, I believe I saw alot of Waves eq plugs being used haha. Animals As Leaders was cool too, but as technical as they are I couldn't much get into it. The drummer doesn't seem to hit very hard even though he's a great drummer. Didnt even stay for BTBAM, not my thing.

I've seen Between the Buried and Me three times and each time they bored the fuck out of me.

Way overrated.

Yeah I saw this too. Tesseract sounded fucking great. They were dialed in. Seen them before a few months back as well, when they had the original singer, who is definitely better, and I agree that his hipster thing kinda fucks it off a bit...

Animals as Leaders... well, they play their songs very well, but its extremely boring. They dont BRING IT so to speak... they're just playing... no showmanship whatsoever. Looks like band practice with some random video screens.

Seen BTBAM before... same old stuff. Breakdowns, arps, they're alright... could take em or leave em. Went and got drunk afterwards instead.

Yeah I saw this too. Tesseract sounded fucking great. They were dialed in. Seen them before a few months back as well, when they had the original singer, who is definitely better, and I agree that his hipster thing kinda fucks it off a bit...

Animals as Leaders... well, they play their songs very well, but its extremely boring. They dont BRING IT so to speak... they're just playing... no showmanship whatsoever. Looks like band practice with some random video screens.

Seen BTBAM before... same old stuff. Breakdowns, arps, they're alright... could take em or leave em. Went and got drunk afterwards instead.

Do you guys have an aversion to high levels of musicianship or something?

I don't understand how people could think that AAL and/or BTBAM is boring and not find Tesseract boring. I mean, I like Tesseract, but they weren't any more energetic than the other bands, they've got a questionable singer now, and their music is much slower and less developed than either AAL or BTBAM.

Do you have an aversion to a good stage show, people getting into their music and moving around a lot?

I've seen TesseracT twice - bang on as musicians and energetic/interesting live. I've seen BTBAM and the bassist and singer are the only ones who are really enjoyable to watch perform. Boring band for a live experience, overall.

Yeah cuz standing around while playing your songs is a real show.

I'd rather see Kiss, Rammstein and Sammy Hagar cuz they put on a SHOW rather than some wank ass tech band that just stands there playing their songs. But then again Im old enough to have SEEN actual shows

And anyways your argument is retarded at best. Meshuggah and Gojira and Behemoth have some pretty fine levels of musicianship and actually perform a show... same as Porcupine Tree, etc etc etc

I have to agree with Jeff and J, most of that widdly diddly stuff lacks character imo...but that is just my opinion.