SAXON & BLITZKRIEG!!!!

princess_of_the_night2112

Goddess of Metal
May 23, 2005
Glasgow
Just thought I'd let you all know that I went to see the mighty Saxon on Saturday night at the Renfrew Ferry in Glasgow. Wow what an amazing gig. Saxon were superb as usual and the set list was more or less the exact same as 6 months earlier when I saw them in Edinburgh. The whole place was bouncing and I was right at the front of the stage in front of the guitarist Doug Scarratt and Nibbs. Saxon put on one of the best performances I've ever seen with Biff laughing and joking with the crowd and plenty of denim jackets getting thrown onto the stage as soon as Saxon came on.

The support band was the mighty Blitzkrieg and they rocked that Ferry insane and practically blew the roof off and the windows out!!!!!. 2 songs into Blitzkrieg's setlist and there was a mental moshpit going on right beside me. There's no barrier or anything at The Ferry so it was pretty mental right down at the front where I was but it was brilliant. The atmosphere was electric and I thought the Ferry was actually going to capsize and sink it was rockin that much:headbang: I knew this concert was going to be mindblowing but I would safely say that that concert was the best concert I've been to in my whole life.

I had a permanent grin on my face the whole night it was just soooo awesome and Blitzkrieg were every bit as good as Saxon, so it was fantastic actually getting a half decent support band for a change. Blitzkrieg were that good in fact that I'm going to go over to Belfast to see them in September. At the end of Blitzkrieg's set, Brian Ross the singer came over and shook my hand and then kissed it - awesomeness!!!!!

Saxon's Set List

Motorcycle Man
Backs To The Wall
Strong Arm Of The Law
Never Surrender
Stallions Of The Highway
Power & The Glory
Frozen Rainbow
Suzie Hold On
The Eagle Has Landed
This Town Rocks
To Hell And Back Again
Crusader
20,000 Feet
Stand Up And Be Counted
Princess Of The Night
Heavy Metal Thunder
Wheels Of Steel
Denim & Leather

Encore

And The Bands Played On

Blitzkrieg's Set List

Armageddon
Hell Express
I'm Not Insane
Legion
Unholy Trinity
Escape from Village
Blades of Steel
Blitzkrieg

Encore

Hellbent for Leather:headbang:

That's awesome Princess! (and it's nice to see you visit us again). Not very often you come out of a concert saying it was the "BEST" one you've ever been to. It must have been electric for sure!

I'll bet your denim jacket wasn't one of those that got tossed on stage. he he

Glad you had fun and thanks for the live report!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I'll bet your denim jacket wasn't one of those that got tossed on stage. he he

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not joking Trans but when I saw the first denim jacket flying through the air and landing on the stage I noticed a couple of Saxon patches on the back and I thought "oh bloody hell that's my jacket"!!!!! Then I saw that it was still beside me just lying on the edge of the stage - I very nearly had a heart attack thinking it was mine:lol:

Can't remember if I showed you a pic of it before but here is a front view of it taken a few months ago.

00.jpg

Damn, I'm jealous! I want Biff & the Boys to come over here so bad. I will travel to see them when they do...no matter the distance.

I hope you get to see Saxon Whisperer cos they are brilliant and I would definitely say they are one of the best live bands in existence just now. I saw them quite a few times during the 80s and they were always great but recently I've been lucky enough to see them three times in the last 18 months and they are better now than they ever were, rocking hard and fast and belting out those classics, wow a Saxon concert is just the best ever. And they always give their very best performance and get the crowd whipped up into a frenzy and Saxon always look like they're having a brilliant time on stage, none of this just going through the motions malarky. And Biff is such a tremendous frontman, always smiling and has a great rapport with the audience, he is very funny guy.

Fingers crossed they will do some USA dates this year:)

Strange setlist for Saxon only classics, are they on a classic tour or something?

Most astounding gig, pure NWOBHM what else can you ask for (well I have 5-6 more bands :lol: )?

:headbang:

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
I'm not joking Trans but when I saw the first denim jacket flying through the air and landing on the stage I noticed a couple of Saxon patches on the back and I thought "oh bloody hell that's my jacket"!!!!! Then I saw that it was still beside me just lying on the edge of the stage - I very nearly had a heart attack thinking it was mine:lol:
:lol: I'm not suprised you jumped at that sight! I remember how much your jacket means to you. I think you posted that pic before, or one like it. I remember seeing sleeve emblems.

I was taking a close look at buying the Saxon Chronicles DVD from 2003. From my research it's got some really good reviews. People keep saying these boys just keep getting better with age, and I'd like to see it for myself.

Anyone here got opinions on Chronicles DVD?

NP: Rainbow - Stranger In Us All

Yes Wyvern the concert I saw on Saturday night was a continuation of A Night Out With The Boys Tour and the setlist was almost identical but I just remembered that on Saturday in Glasgow they also played Solid Ball of Rock.

When I saw them in Edinburgh 6 months ago, they also played Metalhead and Redline both being superb but they didn't play those 2 in Glasgow and at Edinburgh Saxon didn't get a chance to play 747 or Dallas 1pm cos they had been playing for well over 2 hours and their time was up cos there was some club starting after the gig and the management cut the electricity, so they couldn't play 747 or Dallas!!!!

And at Glasgow as well, Saxon were on stage for nearly 2 and a half hours, so that was brilliant.

It was a stunning concert with Saxon and Blitzkrieg cos they are 2 of my fav nwobhm bands but originally I was going to go see Saxon in Wolverhampton in England cos it was Saxon, Girlschool and Blitzkrieg but then they anounced a Glasgow date, so got tickets for Glasgow instead. Unfortunately Girlschool didn't come to Glasgow but there was another wee band on before Blitzkrieg called Atticarage, a local band, and they were quite good but it would have been exquisite to have seen Girlschool as well with Saxon & The Krieg. Although I did see Girlschool quite recently - saw them about 5 months ago when they were supporting Motorhead and Girlschool too are even better today than they were back in the 80s. Absolutely brilliant they were and I hope to see them again really soon, they were tremendous.

I saw them in Paris lately, I confirm Princess' words! Even though age is starting to affect Paul Quinn. Fortunately his playing skills remain superb.

The setlist was :

Motorcycle Man
Strong Arm of the Law
Stallions of the Highway
Never Surrender
Power and the Glory
Frozen Rainbow
Suzie Hold On
To Hell and Back Again
Dallas 1 P.M.
Backs to the Wall
Redline