• Mists Of Avalon
  • Call To Arms
  • Chasing The Bullet
  • Afterburner
  • When Doomsday Comes (Hybrid Theory)
  • No Rest For The Wicked
  • Ballad Of The Working Man
  • Call To Arms (orchestal version)
May 23 through Militia Guard Music joint with with UDR y EMI.

call_to_arms300.jpg

Hope they got a with distribution since they left SPV. Saxon sufefred a lot in the 90's due to bad distribution of their labels. I also hope this ones come more metal and they drained their need for bluesy stuff on the previous album.

Hope they got a with distribution since they left SPV. Saxon sufefred a lot in the 90's due to bad distribution of their labels. I also hope this ones come more metal and they drained their need for bluesy stuff on the previous album.

Into The Labyrinth was already quite "metal" in my book. Sure, they got a few bluesier numbers but they pretty much always had it in them.

Can't wait to hear the new album by the best of the "old" bands!

Into the Labyrinth was the first one in their great run of late that I didn't like that much. I think this, "great run," extends back to Solid Ball of Rock, but really, really takes off at Metalhead. It wasn't bad mind ya, just not quite up to snuff I felt. I'll be looking forward to this one, as ever though. I hold Saxon in pretty much equal esteem to Maiden and Priest. Screw the big four. For me, those were the original big 3. And for awhile, that's how they were referred to in magazines. Now THAT is a tour I'd pay top dollar to see.

I hold Saxon in pretty much equal esteem to Maiden and Priest.

Ditto here, they are always at my top band list, they may had not achieved the fame and fortune of Maiden but for sure they kept the flame of NWOBHM alive and never stray from the path of true metal, even if some albums are weaker than others but never sold out.

I may have not liked ITL a lot, but have very good songs and I'm awaiting the new one which I'm gonna buy blindly, one of the few bands I still give that support on this day and age.

Listening now, thanks for posting - I didn't catch this. As Wyvern says, very Saxon, which is a good thing. It sounds like a great song, and could easily have been on Killing Ground and/or Lionheart. Biff just sounds so good these days, especially for such an old geezer.
Every time I hear a new Saxon record I instantly remember why they are one of my top ten bands of all time. I have so many good memories listening to them.

I like modern Maiden (though many don't), but I like modern Saxon even better. I still can't believe how complete their renaissance was/is. They did lose the plot for a short period in the 80s (and it was short - shorter than most remember it being). But they clawed their way back, and are truly making records that rival their classic titles.
Now, if they'd just come to America and play more than Texas. I had tickets to the Killing Ground Tour, and if I remember right their were to be some Lionheart dates, but neither materialized. Hope they make it before they call it quits. They are one of the few bands I love that, for whatever reason, I've never had a chance to see.

Actually....I'll be in England/Ireland in September...maybe if luck is on my side they'll be playing then!

They did lose the plot for a short period in the 80s (and it was short - shorter than most remember it being). But they clawed their way back, and are truly making records that rival their classic titles.

Yeah back in 1986 with "Rock The Nations" and 1987 with "Destiny", not bad album but subpar consider the rest of their material. The coming of Nibbs Carter on bass for 1990 "Rock The Nations" is for me the new blood they needed to revitalize the band. Even with a couple of changes in line-up afterward, the band continued to deliver intense albums being my fave of their late period "Killing Ground". But one way or another they managed to keep their sound alive and fresh.

OK easily the best album of the year. Can't wait for the CD release damn it!

'Surviving Against All Odds', 'Afterburner', 'Mist Of Avalon', absolutely brilliant songs. The band dropped all the bluesy mood of the previous album and comes with a sound worhty of one of the best surviving oufits in true metal for over 30 years. Absolutely recommended for the old school.

OK easily the best album of the year. Can't wait for the CD release damn it!

'Surviving Against All Odds', 'Afterburner', 'Mist Of Avalon', absolutely brilliant songs. The band dropped all the bluesy mood of the previous album and comes with a sound worhty of one of the best surviving oufits in true metal for over 30 years. Absolutely recommended for the old school.

I don't know yet if it's the best album of the year, but it's indeed excellent. Saxon never disappoints. Absolutely recommended not only for the old-school fans but for all fans of great traditional heavy metal.

BTW, anyone heard the iTunes only track Dirty Double Dealer yet?

Had another one of these days nothin' I played seemed interesting, untill I gave the new Saxon a spin. Sounds really solid and fresh !!

Absolutely recommended for the old school.

And for the new school too!:loco:

Seriously, another great album by this legendary band. Wyvern and I have talked many nights about how I never liked this band before Solid Ball of Rock and they just simply turned it up. Not only that but it made me appreciate their earlier records. I like their new records better than anything that Priest or Maiden have put out in years and it's just a testament to a band that has not been afraid to adapt to the times without losing their touch. To release this quality of material at this stage of their careers is simply fantastic. The record is solid and perhaps only "Back in 79" does not do much for me but the rest is killer. And I loooove the cover art!! The Lord Kitchener image just adds to the theme of the title track (the orchestral version is sublime.)

Yeah finally an album we agree on and also the songs in it, kinda of disturbing actually :lol:

Coincidentally, I just picked up "Rock the Nations" yesterday....had never heard any of it before. After a few listens, I'm surprised...it's stronger than the reviews had me thinking it would be. Indeed, I'll finally cave in and grab Destiny, as well as "Solid Ball" and "Forever Free", the only remaining Saxon albums I've yet to own.

As Wyz stated, they really are riding high over the past 12-15 years. A renaissance, really. Their recent output has been stellar (although I agree that "Labyrinth", while solid, was a bit dull compared to the preceeding few modern classics).

Many 'classic' bands are releasing material to rival their so-called 'glory years'. Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, WASP, and especially UFO spring to mind.
Additionally, recent Michael Schenker output has been surprisingly solid! Not as good as his early solo stuff, but really not far behind it.

Many 'classic' bands are releasing material to rival their so-called 'glory years'. Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, WASP, and especially UFO spring to mind.
Additionally, recent Michael Schenker output has been surprisingly solid! Not as good as his early solo stuff, but really not far behind it.

Add to this list URIAH HEEP. 2008's Wake The Sleeper and 2011's Into The Wild are excellent albums, that can rival their classic ones IMO. The sound is heavier these days and the whole band sounds great.

Yes, the last MSG with Gary Barden's return was very good, save for the flat production.

As a long-time running band, 2010's Pandemonium was also a killer album from the always underrated PRETTY MAIDS.

And comeback albums by veteran NWOBHM bands TANK (War Machine, with new singer Doogie White) and TOKYO BLADE (Thousand Men Strong) are also very solid.

And of course, SAXON is releasing his best stuff (IMO) since 1997 and up. Call To Arms is another excellent disc for a band that never disappoints since more than 15 years (I really enjoyed 1995's Dogs Of War, in fact, it's this album that got me back into Saxon).

The old guard is still going strong.

???????????? I don't see the need for the bonus live cd from 1980. What does that have to do with current band? I would rather have a live cd from the band now as the extra disc.

It jacks the price way up, I don't get it! $24 seems a bit to much to me.
I will buy the version without the extra cd. Just my thoughts on this...

I agree with all the comments above about how Saxon is/has been on a creative roll for sometime now. Really impressive how a band can still be so creative after all this time. I hope they do make it to the USA this time like planned.