Saxophones

AdamG94

Dec 26, 2010
Suffolk, UK
Hi all,

I'm recording my alto Sax at the moment, but my SM57 isn't quite cutting it. So... any suggestions as to what microphones would be best for this application?

The only prerequisite is that I'd like to keep it under £150 ideally.

Thanks.

use an LDC, don't mike up the bell itself, place the mic approx 2/3 down the instrument, about 12" away. At least that's one method that's worked for me and a few other engineers i know

Try a Riggs and Murtaugh mic

they're a vintage but really get the sax sound flowing

Is that a joke? aha

I can't find much to do with microphones when I google that.

use an LDC, don't mike up the bell itself, place the mic approx 2/3 down the instrument, about 12" away. At least that's one method that's worked for me and a few other engineers i know

Thanks man, so something like a Rode NT-1 would do well?

:lol:

I'm sorry dude .. I was being a total cunt

Anytime I hear the word saxophone or hear a sax all i can think about is the Lethal Weapon movies :D

I'm being of no help to you right now and I apologize for slightly trolling your thread. I just couldn't resist, was just trying to get a laugh

A beta 57 works OK. And point a gun to the saxophone player head so he won't stick his instruments 2 inches from the mic :s

The only mic i've ever used (and got a half decent result) with a sax is a neumann TLM103, but that by no means makes it the best mic for the job. Perhaps stretch the budget to an SE2200a, they're great mics

I've recorded my fair share of sax (both in jazz and indie rock) and I haven't found anything better than a nice ribbon mic. Usually I use a Royer R121/122 but it's above your budget - Check out the Cascade Fat Head or some of the modded ribbons at OktavaMod.

The Shure SM7 and Sennheiser MD421 also work nicely if you can't get your hands on a ribbon.

421 is cool.

+1 on this! I've got good results when I've used a 421(because I haven't had access to a decent clip-on mic).

I've recorded sax a fair few times, and any decent condenser clip-on mic will usually do the best job, since saxophonists just love moving up and down and back and forth while playing :)

I record sax ALL THE TIME, and really, ribbon + sax = sex (well, no, not really, recording sax is a pita). If I record ANY horns alone, it is Royer 121 all the time, but horn players insist in doing the whole quartet at the same time, so it usually ends with something like the Trumpet getting the Royer, the Trombone getting the U87, and the saxes getting whatever I have left (4060/TLM149/414/Beta 57). I hate recording like this because I need to make compromises, but that is how life goes.

Anyway, for cheap, a Beta 57 works OK, but if you can stretch to a 421 like an above poster said, go for it. If you can get your hands on at least an average LDC, go for it.

SDC about pointing at the body of the sax. Just gotta be careful with placement as to not to get a lot of clicking from the buttons.

the SDCs I tried sounded honky. I get more natural results with LDCs. Of course, a VERY GOOD sax + very good everything (reeds and all) + very good player = nice sound in almost any gear you use.