What recording software?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys!
Basically I want to SLOWLY upgrade my set up.
For the moment it is an assortment of mics. Jts some Shure's, 2 Legend Powered monitors *Not the best but ok for now* SoundBlaster Live Card, Alto Tube Mic Pre, Adobe Audition and Drumkit From Hell and Guitar Rig2.
First of all I want Adobe GONE, which program should replace it? Also what are your suggestions for Bass VSTs??
Thanks a lot guys!

I've used Cubase/Nuendo for quite a few years now. I got into it because it was easily available and I wanted to move up from Audition, just like you are. Cubase 4 or Nuendo 3 would be my main suggestions to you (basically the same interface/software with some minor differences). After that I would suggest ProTools LE, but beware as Digidesign like to entrap you so you're forced to use their hardware, plus the LE version of ProTools is powdered arse at best. As you know Rick uses Sonar. I tried it at his place the other day when attempting some rough mixing and it didn't seem half bad from what I saw. I still preferred the user interface of Nuendo, but that's just personal preference.

For bass tones, Ampeg SVX is quite good. Sansamp PSA-1 is cool too, especially for gritty/gain tones. I also use Guitar Suite to get some high-mid grit on a bass tone. Oh and from what I recall Guitar Rig 2 was pretty kickin' when it came to bass tones.

it depends on your budget and what you wanna do, i went with sonar 7 and i used to use sonar 5+6 with my soundblaster way back when and it worked very well, didnt sound great but it worked well, and when i got a proper setup, sonar 7 just felt like the best option, i like the midi tools and work flow better than the others, i think its the fact that you don't really have to search around and dig to find out things, i tried logic and not experienced with it, i would say it has the most IL-logical menu system, cryptic menus and hidden stuff you seem to have to dig for.

i would also 2nd the ampeg svx for bass.

Thanks guys, I have cybase here but I have an issue, the sample rate cannot be configured due to Sync Clock settings or something? That's why I ditched it!
I'm confused as to what's going on there so any tips would be awesome!

I has good experience with SB Live 5.1 and nuendo (ASIO) by using kx-project drivers.
It is not best soundwise, but has good performance like Juli@ ASIO (Juli@ definetely beter soundwise) and better routing possibilities.
Also kx-project includes some hardware powered effects (no CPU consumption - processing performed on SB).

Ok guys! I reinstalled Cubase and its working all well now XD
Aparently I needed to reinstall it before it recognized my SoundBlaster Card *it was still seeing the onboard*
Thanks guys and cheers XD
All is going to plan!

I love Reaper, great Manual and Help .pdfs etc. Saying that I only used Cubase LE before switching (I managed to outgrow that in about 3 months).

Seriously, you first responders have gotta be kidding me - you think a guy just starting out wants to spend like $300 on fucking software? Give me a break - and I know you all wouldn't advocate piracy. Reaper for the win!!

I've noticed that no one on these forum never mention Samplitude. I think it's a pretty good daw, and for me it's mutch more friendly than Cubase/Nuendo (especially freezing tracks, doing internal mixdowns, fully configurable effect/plugin/channel routing, and more such things). Only thing I'm missing is the midi functions from Cubase.
Some ppl are saying that Samplitude have better summing algorythms than Cubase, so the sound quality is better, however I can't judge this (lacking experience).

One problem with Reaper is you can't run DFHS on it.... I think when Superior 2.0 comes out though, it will be compatible with Reaper.

53Crëw;7083649 said:
One problem with Reaper is you can't run DFHS on it.... I think when Superior 2.0 comes out though, it will be compatible with Reaper.

DFH Superior works just fine in Reaper.

My nags with Reaper is that it is highly unstable when you have more than three VST-instruments loaded and in use. The program likes to CTD randomly without warning. On this same setup, Cubase has no problems at all running even 15 VST-instruments in a single project. Also, MIDI in general is still a bit lackluster in Reaper when compared to Cubase. Especially the workflow and time signature handling.