Scale the Summit – Monument

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Self Release – 28 May 2007
By Ryan Starr

STSalbumcover-1.jpg

When I think of music and Texas, only two things come to mind: Stevie Ray Vaughan and that really annoying theme song they created for themselves. The last thing I would ever expect is top notch progressive metal. Scale the Summit blend metal with jazz fusion to create some mind boggling music. And the best thing of all is it’s instrumental. No crappy vocalist to get in the way of these amazing riffs. But what makes it so amazing? Solid use of odd time signatures, cool tapping licks, and loads of sweeps and arpeggios. Every song is like a master class, assuming you can keep up.

I have no doubt that we could all learn a thing or two from Scale the Summit. You don’t need a vocalist that whines about his ex-girlfriend, or a 3 chord chorus to connect with the fans. Music of this quality goes beyond words. The guitar becomes the vocalist, and sings in a way no human voice can. Art in its purest form doesn’t need a description telling you what it’s about, it speaks for itself. Scale the Summit has figured this out. So go pickup Monument, you won’t be disappointed.

Band myspace

Self Release – 28 May 2007
By Ryan Starr

When I think of music and Texas, only two things come to mind: Stevie Ray Vaughan and that really annoying theme song they created for themselves. The last thing I would ever expect is top notch progressive metal

You need to check out some Pantera and Watchtower...:headbang:

good review, this band sent me a friend request two years ago...I was like these guys are awesome. Straight instrumental bands kick ass, probably why I fucking hate dream theater, when a vocalist enters an instrumental group it fucks everything up.

You forgot Solitude Aeturnus, and Last Chapter, which is a phenomenal jazz/doom band, with none other than Solitude's singer Lowe. The Album's called In Living Waters. It's like if Alan Holdsworth joined S.A. I'll have to look for this band Scale the Summit....got me interested!

for the record, im sure there are alot of great bands from texas. but like an ink blot test, when someone says music and texas, my first though is SRV.

and bloodstorm isnt good
~gR~

I literally just recieved my copy of Monument about 2 months ago. I read about them first from Nightmare-Records.com.

These guys are awesome.

2 other bands that are note worthy are Blotted Science and Cosmosquad. Check both of these out!