Scene Aesthetic cover...

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I did this for a friend of mine the other day, shes helping me get a little folio of work so i can practise mixing.

The song is 'beauty in the breakdown' by the scene aesthetic.. i know it's probably not to many tastes on here but any feedback would be great!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/970663/Beautyinthebreakdown.mp3

vox were recorded with an AKG C-414
guitar was d.i'd then some light e.q to bring it in - dont think its as good as the tone i got when did my deftones cover.
bass was podX3'd
Harmonies are real although some bits with melodyne were over-processed.

Thanks guys, should hopefully have something a bit heavier to post up this week:headbang:

mmm, i think guitars are very loud and it needs less high frequencies.
i like a lot vocals.
screenshoots about vocal processing?

there was some plugin i heard about ages ago that like
applied the frequency response of a whole bunch of mics, whatever your choice was, to whatever the source was. so you could in theory change the sound of a cheap dynamic to an APPROXIMATION of a condenser or whatever the fuck you wanted.
seek it out, it might be a cheap solution for acoustic guitar recording, because i dunno about anyone else, but theres i fucking HATE the sound of DI'd acoustic. sounds cheap and unprofessional as fuck, no offense or anything bro.
also, her vocals are fucking beautiful.
got this nice slightly smokey quality to them.

You can definitely tell that the guitar is DI.

if you had a 414 why the hell didnt you use it for the guitar????

that would have been my absolute first choice hands down.

bass is decent for this style song.

the vocals seemed wayyyyyyy pitch corrected. didn't seem any bit natural.

dont get me wrong, it isnt bad at all. but could use a lot of work.

I don't think its quite fair to say they didn't seem at all natural. The harmonies are pretty much her own, there were just touch ups and 1/or 2 note shifts.

Yeah she insisted on having the d.i though so i was like wtf but had to keep her happy. I used the 414 before on my LL6 and got a beautiful sound.

Well you're the fucking producer. You know what sounds good, it's your job to.
But if she wants to sound like a fucking amateur that's her perogative I suppose.