Born of Osiris cover! FUCKEN BOW DOWN (revalver, s2.0)

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
So dcdanman approached me asking if I wanted to do vocals for a Born of Osiris cover so i was all like yeah why not?
He said he wanted guitars re-amped to I running it through Revalver's 6505 sim.

dcdanman did guitar and drums
i pitch shifted the guitar for bass, did vocals, mixed and mastered :D

Settings were something like:
Red Channel
High gain switch OFF
Pre gain: 7
Bass: 7
Mids: 1
Treb: 7
Resonance: 5
Presence 7

Ryan's AWESOMETIME.wav impulse in Voxengo Boogex
TSS before Revalver. settings were something like
drive: 1.50
Tone: 8.5-9
Level: 7

Post-processing was minimal. A cut of -2.5db at 900hz, fairly wide to get rid of the honk and that was pretty much it.

Bass is guitar pitch shifted down an octave and processed a wee bit

Drums are Superior 2.0 courtesy of dcdanman. Got the snare and kick tracks off him seperated from everything else cos everything was pretty perfect already, just wanted a bit more control over kick and snare levels.
Kick is replaced with Machine Head kick, plus the original kick blended in slightly for more click.
A 60hz boost on the kick for some more thump.

Vocals were SM57, handheld with my hand cupping the bottom of the capsule, as with the track me and GubbKuk did. A big ol' midscoop, fuck loads of eq and reverbs and delays and other ridiculous shit.

A big 5 part vocal harmony in there somewhere.

Synth just had a bit of EQ and reverb on it.

Mastering chain was:
2 instances of gClip
Grancomp3 for multiband compression between 300hz and 900hz for some chugachug
Steinberg Magneto cos I like how it makes shit sound
Voxengo Elephant smashing the utter fuck out of it. -3.5db of gain reduction at points, but I think it sounds teh gooood.

EDIT: I am a dick sometimes hahahaha
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/631208/Bow Down Master5.mp3

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/631208/Bow Down Master6.mp3
snare +1db and vocals have verb!
bit better i reckon

Your vocals are fucking amazing and the mix is nice aswell.
The drums sound a bit robotic tho, especially the snare where the snare fill is.

Yep. First it sounded like it blast your fucking ears off!...then it seemed the levels were okay. I hear everything and the mix seems good. Only the bass is littlebit buried (maybe 'cause the lowered gtr?...allthought it sound good when I hear it.)
Beats the orginal nearly to death. Vocs are sick!
Me likes.

Yep. First it sounded like it blast your fucking ears off!...then it seemed the levels were okay. I hear everything and the mix seems good. Only the bass is littlebit buried (maybe 'cause the lowered gtr?...allthought it sound good when I hear it.)
Beats the orginal nearly to death. Vocs are sick!
Me likes.

Yeah I'd really like some real bass on it.
I don't own a bass otherwise I'd record it.
I had to lowpass them really low otherwise it just sounded utterly gash.
I figured it would be the lesser of two evils to bury it a bit.

Shitty things first: The part in the middle where the song opens up and there's some nice guitar melodies and shit going on, at the same time as the vocals, I felt it was too smashed at that point because the vocals drowned suddenly and it was more like just some kind of noise rather than actual vocals. But that's just me listening to it midnight after rehearsing with a really cool band, so I could be hearing totally fucked up :)

Anyway, that was all I had to comment on really. Other than that, it's fucking great! All other parts in the song were good, nothing drowned in anything. This is probably just personal taste but I think the cymbals might've been slightly too harsh, but that's it. Sweet fucking shit dudes!

Good guitar playing, but I have to give extra creds on the vocals, it's totally sick Gareth :D You'll be guesting on my upcoming shit dude, you hear me? You have no choise, you just got to do it! I'll come over to your island and buy you some drinks someday :D

Haha thanks man, and sure I'm up for guesting. Always am.

And yeah it's prettyyyy fucking smashed dude. I'm gonna re-master it with Ozone after Joey managed to get that track to -6db rms and still have it sounding good.
But there is a HELL of a lot of shit going on with midrange instruments there.

There is..
Synth
Lead Guitar
Rhythm Guitar
2 tracks of screamed vocals
5 layers of clean vocals.
Snare.

There is a loooot of stuff.

haha, everyone seems much more opinionated to this mix!

i'm happy with the way its turned out :)

thanks,

Yeah, it's not so strange that it sounds extra smashed at that part then :D

Guess you'd need to do some automation an' shit!

I'm still amazed by the vocals... how the fuck can they come out of a 18 year old? o_O

Might drop dem guitars down.

And I dunno man haha, but the praise is muchos appreciated none the less

how do i download the impulse from the link all it seems to do is take me to quicktime and play an empty clip?

Hey dude, you'll understand if I was reluctant to listen to a BoO cover, but for you baby, I'll lower my head and plow through it :lol: Vox sound farkin' fearsome once again, though I feel they're a bit dry and too upfront; I hear the verb trail, but I think it needs to be mixed higher (and maybe the tail shortened so it doesn't muddy up). Honestly, I often prefer delay on vox (or a combo of delay/verb at least), maybe something to tweak. That first sub-drop (right after the semi-ambient part) feels pretty out of place, but the one at 1:32 works perfectly for bringing the br00tz :D Guitars are pretty cool, definitely Revalver-sounding (you described Erik's as metallic, which I'll second), but hey, you made a lot with a little :loco: Overall a sweet mix dude! The kick could use a bit more click though IMO

Oh, and is that glitch for the slowdown effect?