Scorpions - Sting in the Tail

Vicious Robbie

Faithful Neon Dreamer
I want to start off by saying that I will always remember the great times the Scorpions' music gave me throughout the years. A legendary band, no doubt. They will be missed. That's why it pains me to say that I will not remember this album for sure.

Let me say that the musicianship is good, like they have always been, especially Klaus. The man has a golden voice and sounds fresh and powerful. The problem lies with the rockers on this album. The only songs that stick to my mind are opener Raised on Rock and Rock Zone (how many songs can you have on an album with the word "Rock" on them?) and they are not even close to their classic material. Not even close to a song like the fantastic The Game of Life from their previous album. That's a bad sign. What the Scorpions have been really good in recent times, though, are great slow/ballad songs. They strut their stuff here with four of them (The Good Die Young, Lorelei, Sly and the-sure-to-be-a-video The Best is Yet To Come) and they are the songs I tend to gravitate to most. The Good Die Young feat Tarja Turunen and I really like the chorus on this one, it's epic and filled with melancholy. Lorelei, it's a good ballad but of the four is probably my least favorite. Sly hit me right between the eyes with the opening chords, which will remind you instantly of When the Smoke is Going Down. I really don't mind it at all, especially when I love the latter song jejeje. A typical sad love ending story but good. When the lead melody guitar jumps in, it brings a tear to my eye as I remember their classic tunes. The Best is Yet To Come has an infectious and happy chorus that will remind you of the vibe from Winds of Change. I am betting a pretty penny that this one will become a video. A really good song and a strong finisher.

In recent years I can say that the Scorps made it because of their fantastic ballads/slow songs. And even then, this album does not have a song like Love Will Keep us Alive. It does not matter. I can always go back to the golden years and remember them when they used to rock my socks off with enough hooks to fill a convenient store. But for now...Farewell! :cry:

Scorpions+Sting+of+the+Tail.jpg

I am not a big Scorpions's fan, but I bought the album as it was given as a gift with a newspaper (!) at the price of € 4,25 and I have listened to it many times so far.

Well, I can say it's a decent album and a very good one for farewell of this legendary band. I like very much the ballads (SLY, Lorelei), but I think that the best songs of the album are "The Good Die Young", "Raised on Rock" and "Turn You On" and "The Best Is Yet to Come". Only the track #3 ("Slave Me") is under average and the whole album is a little surprise for me. I have to admit that I didn't expect such a good work from Scorpions in 2010.

The problem lies with the rockers on this album. The only songs that stick to my mind are opener Raised on Rock and Rock Zone...

What the Scorpions have been really good in recent times, though, are great slow/ballad songs. They strut their stuff here with four of them...

In recent years I can say that the Scorps made it because of their fantastic ballads/slow songs...

Great review, but one that makes me NOT want to buy the record at all. Unlike yourself, I HATE the fact that the Scorpions have relied on ballads so much over the years, and am disappointed that they chose to include four of them in this, their last album. Sometimes it seems that the Scorps have been trying to repeat the huge hit they had with Winds of Change from years ago in every album since.

Not surprising. It's been slim pickings from the Scorps for the last 20 years.

I HATE the fact that the Scorpions have relied on ballads so much over the years,

I use to think that was basically an 80's or beyond phenomena, but actually they have been playing ballads at least from "Fly To The Rainbow", I guess it should be emphasized your point: over the years. I mean, up to the third album a ballad or two it's alright but after 40 years of exploit them, yes it's dissapointing. Probably why I stop with them at "Animal Magnetism".

Great review, but one that makes me NOT want to buy the record at all. Unlike yourself, I HATE the fact that the Scorpions have relied on ballads so much over the years, and am disappointed that they chose to include four of them in this, their last album. Sometimes it seems that the Scorps have been trying to repeat the huge hit they had with Winds of Change from years ago in every album since.

I hear you, Desert. I am not going to buy the album either for the same reason and yes, I think most of us know that it's the ballads/slow songs that have kept them in the game for so long. Oh I still remember the days of Lovedrive, Make it Real, Hurricane, I'm Leaving you and so many more :cry:

I still remember the days of "Life's Like a River", "Catch Your Train" and "The Sails of Charon". The 70s is my favorite Scorpions decade. So I know how you feel.

'Catch Your Train'...:worship:notworthy:worship:, I too miss more the 70's era :cry:

I prefer the 70´s era too. "Tokyo tapes" is one of my favourites live albums ever and since "Fly to the rainbow" to "Taken by force" their stuff is overwhelming. I like the 80´s Scorpions records but they aren´t so special and don´t own the same personality.

By the way, they started world tour yesterday. Crushing set list. Just 3 songs from the pre-"Tokyo tapes" ("He´s a woman, she´s a man", "We´ll burn the sky" and the glorious "Picture life") but it´s enough for me ´cause in Spain they never played more than "We´ll burn the sky".

Talking about the 70s

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGTCSGj30&feature=related[/ame]

I stumbeld on some very vintage footage of the Scorps with a 16 year old Michael Schenker on guitar. You can barely recognize Klaus - but it's him!

New video live on TV with Tarja Turunnen

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyvern would you believe that the guy that presents the show,
Thomas Gottschalk, is 60 years old?

Well after seeing the lady on the left...I can believe anything now! o_O

I found the link on a Spanish site I use a lot, pretty good for info specially from European bands.