Screams/Cleans with 57.

doin my bands first few demo tracks.
only got a 57 atm to do vox with unfortunately.

Just wondering if you guys reckon I could mix the vocals better, and if so how?
Or is it literally just case of actually save for a 7b and decent condenser.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1789376/57 vox.m4a

cheers

The singing is almost perfect, I'd EQ some of the way higher freq's out. like... 8k+ maybe. It seems to pierce it a little too much, it doesn't have glue to the rest at times, her vowels.
The screams are mixed a little too loud I think. I could be wrong but they sound very raw and independent from the rest of the mix. Also a glue problem, perhaps. Try adding some delay or verb and lowering the levels of the screams if the delay doesn't do that for you.

But I think that'd do a lot. And when I say delay, I mean REALLY small timeframe in the feedback. 1/16, perhaps. It just makes it sound thicker without having to boost the level of it, making it sound awkward and alone.

Other than that, I really like it. The singing is not original in terms of the utilization but unlike all of the other female vocalists in hardcore/metalcore bands, she's not obnoxious and she really has talent. I'd use a limiter/compressor for her voice, though. It's like the best parts are washed out and the rest is popping out when I don't want it to. Maybe use volume automation to work with the dynamics of the mix.

The singing is almost perfect, I'd EQ some of the way higher freq's out. like... 8k+ maybe. It seems to pierce it a little too much, it doesn't have glue to the rest at times, her vowels.
The screams are mixed a little too loud I think. I could be wrong but they sound very raw and independent from the rest of the mix. Also a glue problem, perhaps. Try adding some delay or verb and lowering the levels of the screams if the delay doesn't do that for you.

But I think that'd do a lot. And when I say delay, I mean REALLY small timeframe in the feedback. 1/16, perhaps. It just makes it sound thicker without having to boost the level of it, making it sound awkward and alone.

Other than that, I really like it. The singing is not original in terms of the utilization but unlike all of the other female vocalists in hardcore/metalcore bands, she's not obnoxious and she really has talent. I'd use a limiter/compressor for her voice, though. It's like the best parts are washed out and the rest is popping out when I don't want it to. Maybe use volume automation to work with the dynamics of the mix.

Yer I noticed the piercing but when I changed it, you couldn't really make out any of the singing. my mate said to remix the guitars cos they're dominating the mix but I'm a stubborn bastard so I like the tone. I need to try lower the dry signal and I'll try messing about with the delay man, thanks. I've got both vox comped pretty hard tbf :S but i'll keep tryin different levels.

Whats the name of the band mate? This stuff sounds interesting!

No definite name as of yet. literally only formed bout month ago so just laying stuff down atm. cheers man (y)