Screams on an SM57?

LeoBurgg

Feb 16, 2010
Bronx, NY
Hey guys, a friend is going to lend me his SM57 soon so I can track some vocals for a demo I'm doing. I just wanted to know if anyone here has ever tracked screams on an SM57 and does it sound decent?

Uh....Maybe, let me think. No I don't think so, not on this computer. But it works just fine, especially if you are just doing demos. VS my studio projects B1, the B1 seems fuller and with a little more "air" but I wouldn't think twice to use a 57 on growling vox.

The SM57 is definitly a good mic to record screaming it also with come in handy if you are going to mic any instruments as well. It is a good all around mic.

Screams on "Genesis" by Job For A Cowboy were all done on an SM58, which is essentially the same mic as a 57 except for the windscreen.

See also - Rage Against The Machine, Deftones, and many others.

i got ridiculous plosives to the point of un-usability when i had a kid do growly vox with a 57 handheld. if he wants to hold it, i.e no pop filter, go with a 58 instead. otherwise prop that shit up with a proper pop filter.

Any time i record hand held with a 57 i do 2 things, first, take electrical tape and do one wrap on it so that the top of the tape is covering half of the plastic side grill as shown in this picture (i use colored tape to make it more visible) and tell the singer NEVER to let his hand go above the tape. Also tell them they have to keep the mic a steady inch or two away from the mic.

2mxlwlg.jpg

Sometimes I'll also use a windscreen cover if there are too many plosives in the singers voice. You can get them cheap as hell:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Shure-A2WS-BLK-A2WS-Windscreen-Black/dp/B0002NIP98[/ame]

Any time i record hand held with a 57 i do 2 things, first, take electrical tape and do one wrap on it so that the top of the tape is covering half of the plastic side grill as shown in this picture (i use colored tape to make it more visible) and tell the singer NEVER to let his hand go above the tape. Also tell them they have to keep the mic a steady inch or two away from the mic.

You're actually covering most of the holes on the side of the grill, pretty effectively changing it's pattern towards omni, which probably isn't what you're looking for in this case. The holes are there for a reason, try not cover them up.