SD2 vs SD3 vs EZ Drummer 2

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I've had SD2 for some time now, and reading the comments on SD3, I'm not so tempted on spending money on it right now.

However, EZ Drummer 2 is at 50% now (Black Friday) and it made me wonder.

Would it be a good purchase to replace my SD2? I mean I have never been overly satisfied with SD2. I probably don't use most of the features it has, and I'm not super excited with its sounds, so like many, I overlay some samples on top of it.

I'm not expecting EZ Drummer 2 to sound way better, but it can be perhaps just "better"? I mean, it's a product that is much younger than SD2. And it seems to be 1000% friendlier for music writing.

So basically, would you recommend buying it at that price to replace SD2? Will it sound "at least" equal? And, will it make music writing easier or more fun?

Thanks

I’ve slated SD3 a fair bit but the sampler is the best out there. Definitely worth it IMO, just don’t expect much from the core library.

The core EZDrummer library is actually pretty good, it wouldn’t be a bad addition to either superior library for the additional kits/MIDI, and especially percussion as the old superior 1 percussion is no longer supported.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRUIE and FIXXXER
well, the big problem with EZ2 is the mixer and the limited outputs.
the provided mixing tools simply suck and are extremely limited.
if you want to mix it in the DAW the outputs are also very limited so yeah,
you have to like how it sounds out of the box otherwise you won't be happy with EZ2.

I absolutely agree with Machinated on SD3, the sampler is pretty good, many very useful options but the core library is pure shit.

Using EZ expansions within SD2/SD3 is another story as you can route everythng individually
and mix as much as you want but it's not really a "deal" buying such an expensive plugin
just to use EZ expansions, but well that's what TT wants us to do i guess, otherwise there is no
logical reason to limit EZ2 that much.

that's the problem i am havinng with toontrack, you have to buy like everything and combine it to get a
decent sound that does not pleas only others but also your personal taste. of course they can't but they are still
trying to force things up the users ass.

i know this does not help that much at all...

did you check addictive drums 2? they have a 50% SALE on all products right now.
i bought the complete bundle for 350€ a few days ago.