Seattle Appreciation Thread

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I think Seattle and "Alternative" take too much shit from metal fans. Granted, this was the city and the movement that gave us the shitstorm that was Nirvana, but I feel as though it also produced two of the best artists (and one phenomenal Pearl Jam disc "10") in the last twenty years in Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I'm listening to "Dirt" as I type this. It's amazing how incredible these bands were, and just how influential they were. To this day, I find that I spin CDs by these two bands more than most of their more prototypically Metal counterparts.

Zod

Seattle
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif

Queensryche, Sanctuary, Nevermore, Lethal, Heir Apparent, Fifth Angel
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif

Gary Payton
vb_wub.gif
vb_wub.gif

and yes Soundgarden were an incredible band

Obviously there are/were a number of good Metal bands that call Seattle home. However, this thread was intended to be more about Soundgarden and AiC, who I feel often don't get their due from the Metal crowd.

Zod

Soundgarden were almost metal, and AiC had their metal moments. They are just misunderstood as you said. Mainly because their whole "movement" was considered to be the end of all that was metal in Seattle.

I like some AiC (Jar of FLies; Sap; Dirt) and SOundgarden is amazing. Other than those two, though, I don't like anything that came from that "movement". Can't stand Pearl Jam.

it was the best musical movement since rock n' roll exploded in the 1960's. soundgarden, alice in chains, nirvana, melvins, pearl jam, etc. make life worth living.

for someone who hated all the bullshit of 80's metal that scene was pretty much the best thing ever. :)

i just got my first mudhoney album last week. it's cool, but more in the indie-rock realm than grunge. but hey, another unique act from that age.

edit: and yeah, real raw like.

never saw the big shit with Nirvana, but love 'em or hate 'em, they were originators. unfortunately, the started the whole "woe is me" bullshit that Korn-a-likes turned into a cliche. and Nirvana influenced kids to be "rejects", who also turned into cliches.

Still, I like Foo FIghters more than Nirvana.

lizard said:
Mad Season was pretty good. They were going to do another one except with Mark Lanegan on vox and unfortunately it never happened.
Never heard of Mark Lanegan. But since there are very few vocalists who could have replaced Layne, it's probably for the best.

Zod

J. said:
never saw the big shit with Nirvana, but love 'em or hate 'em, they were originators. unfortunately, the started the whole "woe is me" bullshit that Korn-a-likes turned into a cliche. and Nirvana influenced kids to be "rejects", who also turned into cliches.

Not to mention the "all you need is three chords" thing...while it did discourage guitar wankery, it also resulted in hordes of meidocre bands who continue to believe that amateurism is a virtue...