Second halve of 2011 lists (merged)

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Yep, it's that time again. Half way 2011 I wanna see your favorite albums in the first part of this year :D

for me:

-Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
-Black Country Communion - 2
-Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers
-Uranian - La Ciudad de los suecos (instrumental)
-Iris Divine - Convergence
-Magic Pie - The Suffering Joy

Also a lot of late 2010 releases I discovered in 2011;
Kingfisher Sky, Moon Safari, Anima Mundi (!!!!), Anthriel....

Black Country Communion - 2
Cynthesis - DeEvolution
Gorod - Transcendence EP
Lost Conception - Paroxysm Of Despair
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Seth.ECT - Godspeak
Symbolic - Scarvest
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers
Wolverine - Communication lost

I am pretty sure Cynthesis, Gorod, Seth.ECT, Symphony X and Wolverine will make my yearlist.

lots of varied stuff and still more great releases but as of the end of june:

1 mr big- what if...
2 king kobra- self titled
3 whitesnake- forevermore
4 hurtsmile- self titled
5 robbie robertson- how to become clairvoyant
6 warrant- rockaholic
7 black country communion- 2
8 queensryche- dedicated to chaos
9 los lonely boys- rockpango
10 scheepers- self titled

i fully expect not only the positions of these to change but with albums still to come by YES, george lynch, sebastian bach, alice cooper, zz top, janes addiction, lindsay buckingham plus i haven't listened to the new night ranger i can see a few of the ones i listed dropping out of the top 10

No albums from 2011 have really grabbed me to be honest. I thought a few were pretty good, but none of these seem like they'll be favorites I'll be returning to for years to come.

In no order:
Scheepers - S/T
Symphony X
Alestorm
Wolf
When the Empire Falls - Episode V
Eden's Curse
Bloodbound
Anvil - Juggernaut of Justice

Most listened to album (with the least amount of joy): Dedicated to Chaos.

Waiting for: Edguy, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Skid Row (supposedly), Metallica, Betrayer (Recorded 2 years ago, will probably see release in 2014).

i have yet to buy an album this year because apparently out of all the people who could be made to pay more money for something, my wonderful state governor has decided those people should be college students....

//end rant
ive heard iconoclast in my friends care in its entirety though and id be willing to bet it would be my favorite out of those that have come out so far this year

yeah the new dream theater might be good. i've hated everything they've done since scenes from a memory. the new metallica is supposed to be that lou reed project which i doubt will be good and i love lou reed. i still need to get that nazareth album

In no particular order ...

Warrant - Rockaholic
TrollFest - En Kvest blah blah
Gunner Sixx - Desire
Falkenbach - Tiurida
Wicked Jester - Royalty Sux
Primordial - Redemption At The Puritans Hand
King Kobra - KK
Vreid - V
Korpiklaani - Ukon Wacka
The Treatment - This Might Hurt

This is at the top and will probably end up there. I think it is their best yet and that is saying something because I love all their releases.

Still a ton coming out still though...

Dream Theater
Redemption
Into Eternity
Anthrax
Opeth
Brainstorm
Iced Earth
Primus
Metallica thing - interseted to see what the hell this sounds like.
Testament?

Thankfully (because my economy is not it used to be) this has been a very slow year in releases.

Metal

1. Saxon – “Call To Arms”
2. Wolf – “Legions Of Bastards”
3. Benedictum – “Dominion”
4. Falconer – “Armod”
5. Scheepers – “Scheepers”
6. Tyr – “The Lay Of Thrym”
7. Pegazus – “In Metal We Trust”
8. Alestorm – “Back Through Time"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not-metal

1. Scale The Summit – “The Collective”
2. Presto Ballet – “Invisible Places”
3. Tony MacAlpine – “Tony MacAlpine”
4. Twinspirits – “Legacy”
5. LoNero – “J.F.L.”
6. Nazareth – “Big Dogz”
7. Blackmore’s Night – “Autumn Sky”

Some shuffling will be done before Dec 31, and with the exception of new Poisonblack that's nowhere to find in CD, I'm not expecting more new stuff soon.

I am listening to that new YES album now and I think this will end up in my top 5 of 2011 !!!

i am a huge YES fan. i am waiting until it comes out. the part of 1 song i heard put me off so i'm waiting to hear it all at 1 time

Primordial - Redemption at...
Black Country Communion

Looking forward to the new Mastodon, Saxon, and most of all the new Yes....

Not too excited about the upcoming Opeth (just kind of bored with them), or the upcoming Iced Earth - as much as I liked the last two.

Wolf - Legions of Bastards
Skip Rock - Hit & Run
Black & Blue - Hell Yeah
King Kobra - S/T
Warrant - Rockaholic
Falling Red - Shake the Faith
Tora Tora - Revolution Day
Bai Bang - Livin my dream

mdmatt, thanks for the recommendation. The new Night Ranger is rather good - one of the definite comeback stories of the year, ala Ratt last year, or Dokken a few years back.

It's heavy, guitar driven, modern production and stylings, but definitely not ashamed to let the guitars come off in the vein of early Van Halen.

After a listen through, this is my favorite track thus far:

Last edited by a moderator:
mdmatt, thanks for the recommendation. The new Night Ranger is rather good - one of the definite comeback stories of the year, ala Ratt last year, or Dokken a few years back.

It's heavy, guitar driven, modern production and stylings, but definitely not ashamed to let the guitars come off in the vein of early Van Halen.

After a listen through, this is my favorite track thus far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxFjHHmGXo8

here is my opinion on why its so good. by the mid 80's night ranger seemed to try and focus on ballads and slower tempo songs and forgot how to really rock. when they reformed in the 90's they tried to be heavier but the songs lacked a lot of hooks and the few ballads seemed generic except 1 off of neverland that i forgot the name of. the last album, HOLE IN THE SUN, was a step in the right direction with more hooks and better ballads but the more rocking songs sounded more like something an updated damn yankees would do but without tommy and ted to help instead of sounding like night ranger. finally with this new album night ranger got it right again after about 23 years since the last really great album they had. they have the right blend of 80's and now, rock and ballads, hooks and heaviness, tasteful restrained playing, jamming and guitar wanking. do you think the fans noticed? this is night ranger's first charting album since the 80's although it came in at 190 something but hey it shows the fans pay attention to quality

It seems like a good year so far. I haven't listened to the new albums from Symphony X and While Heaven Wept yet (that's why they don't appear in my list) and we are also waiting for new albums from Riot, Fates Warning (Arch/Matheos project), Manilla Road and many more.

1. Artizan - Curse of the Artizan
2. Wishdoom - Helepolis
3. Jag Panzer - The Scourge of the Light
4. Hell - Human Remains
5. Anvil - Juggernaut of Justice
6. Strikelight - Taste my Attack
7. Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers
8. Saxon - Call to Arms
9. Doomsword - The Eternal Battle

Blood Ceremony - Living With the Ancients
Doomsword - Eternal Battle
Black Country Communion - 2
Whitesnake - Forevermore
Symphony X - Iconoclast

Haven't heard much from 2011 yet. I really like the Blood Ceremony cd. Symphony X cd has been a little disappointing so far, but I need to spin it a few more times to really make up my mind.