Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
SECRET SPHERE – SCENT OF HUMAN DESIRE
Nuclear Blast - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

NB_1128.jpg

Just like their fellow country-men in Labyrinth, Secret Sphere has broken the mold of the Italian power metal band with their latest release Scent of Human Desire. However, this album and changes to the sound might be harder to digest. Unlike Labyrinth who could only go up after Sons of Thunder, Scent of Human Desire is following the excellent A Time Nevercome and straying from that formula might not be what fans of the album would like. But the band decided to be different with adding progressive elements but most notably they added hard rock elements that will definitely be the hardest thing to digest.

It may not be quite obvious with the opener “Rain” as it sounds just like one would expect the band to sound like but that is quickly erased with “Still Here” as the band jumps right into your speakers with that upbeat, big chorus, rocking sound. “Virgin Street 69” is another song that features this sound and let us not forget the nice samples (woman moans) the band provided in the middle of the song. Those are two songs where the entire song has that sound. But there are songs where there is a combination of sounds like right at 3:10 during “Surrounding”, the band once again goes into that direction when the prior to that it sounded like the Secret Sphere of old, of note in this song is the great drumming featured at 4:52. In “1000 Eyes’ Show” which has a fast and upbeat tempo, with epic keyboards and excellent riffs also combines the old with the new.

Not everything is upbeat, fast and rocking. There are a few emotional ballads like “Desire” and “Scent of a Woman” but my favorite is “More Than Simple Emotions” with the beautiful keyboard melody that opens the song and is featured throughout the song. I also find it extremely hard not to sing along with the chorus.

So at least you know what to expect with Scent of Human Desire but does it work? My answer is a resounding “YES!” The band has gone into uncharted territory by combining these sounds and they have come out on top. The songs are memorable and before long you will find yourself singing right along. This is another great album by Secret Sphere and I highly suggest you check this album out. It is fresh, exciting and innovative.

Nuclear Blast Website
Secret Sphere Official Website