May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Has this band been discussed? DAMN!!!

Look at Dill's review:

Secrets Of The Moon - Antithesis
Lupus Lounge - Wolf 015 - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

secretsofthemoon_antithesis.jpg

Now this is more like it. Anyone who's cast a glance at the six reviews below this one will no doubt have realised that I got a pretty average crop of CDs to review with this batch. There were only two real standouts, and one of those (Vader - Impressions In Blood, in case you care) was already reviewed. Damn you, Oinkness. Oh well - the other standout is this - German progressive black metal act Secrets Of The Moon's latest release. And by 'standout', I mean, 'this is how I wish the last Enslaved album had sounded'.

Yeah, that got your attention, didn't it? Well, it's true - listening to Antithesis made me realise how much better Ruun could have been. Just replace the more overt 70s prog elements with clever, unconventional song structures, hypnotic riffage, and a dark and suffocating atmosphere, and you're close to what Secrets Of The Moon have achieved here. Listen, for instance, to the blastbeat savagery of the opening of 'Ordinance', initially cleverly offset with a clean guitar melody, then superceded by a stomping, mid-tempo passage, then spiralling into a thrash-heavy vortex. And that's in the first minute and a half. Listen also to 'Seraphim is Dead', an album highlight particularly because of its especiallly chilling chorus sections.

Even the short instrumentals that bookend the album are impressive in themselves - 'Exit' boasts some nice hammer-on riffage, in particular. The production is full and powerful, with meaty drums, thick but cutting guitar tones, growling bass, and clear vocals. Throughout the album are scattered moments that make you sit up and go 'Whoa. That was cool', and then repeat the album again. Repeated listening divulges further rewards too, as the intricately-constructed songs yield further details to attentive listeners. In fact, I can't think of anything particularly negative to say about this - it's an engrossing, captivating listen from start to finish, and a near-essential purchase for fans of adventurous extreme metal in general, and those wishing Enslaved would use more aggression in their songwriting in particular.

8.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Secrets Of The Moon's Official Website
Lupus Lounge's Official Website

I'm getting this ASAP! Go to the website listed above, and you can preview several songs on the album.

Damn good stuff. Carved in Stigmata Wounds is also worth purchasing.

Reign in Acai said:
I only own "Stronghold of the Inviolables", it's pretty decent.

The post-SOTI is completely different. Like DsO after Inquisitors of Satan, see?

fotmbm said:
I've only got Carved in Stigmata wounds and it fekkin rules

That's also the only one I own but I woudn't say it rules. To begin with it's much too long, had they made it fit on one vinyl it would probably be pretty cool. But as I recall and also pretty incoherrent :|

I will probably not check out this new one

Just discovered this band tonight (thx Ellestin :dopey:)
That's not bad. No, that's pretty good. "Confessions" :kickass: